Dirt Bike Thoughts?

So I am thinking about getting a dirt bike because my friend got one and a mini bike doesn't exactly keep up with it. Nothing against mini bikes its just the two are completely different classes. So I was thinking about a Honda XR 250. Found this one and it looks pretty good but just wanted to see what you guys thought of it. He's asking $1725 and its a 2000 model with FMF pipe.

From him
"I'm selling a 2000 Honda XR 250R motorcycle. It runs well, has a new rear tire, an FMF Powercore 4 exahust pipe and can ride up pretty much anything with gobs of torque.

The bike is mechanically in good shape and it has recently been worked on at a local shop. Over $750 recently done including

1)Adjust Valve Clearance
2)Adjust Decompression Cable
3)Repair and adjust carburetor
4)Adjust throttle

I can show receipts of all work completed."

http://images.craigslist.org/01212_irvGnFYMI4K_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00n0n_cGMigQEgqom_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00303_6sAdszVubqr_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00P0P_a7NApJDCsJ8_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/01717_6H7RlgIbjp7_600x450.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/00y0y_eKtN9WZ8JxO_600x450.jpg

zeeman

I don't think you can go wrong with any of Honda's dirt bikes. I would personally not go crazy on the cc size though. I had a 650 dual purpose, and it was a bit much in sand and tight woods.

IMHO...The price is a little high. At least in Florida. Those Hondas are Bullet Proof. I ride a Suzuki 01 DRZ250 also one tough son of a gun. If you look around a little you should be able to get nice bike for around 13 1,500. With all the rocks and such in CO I would make sure to have at least a good skid plate and hand guards. Get the suspension set for your weight. Most bikes are set for a 170 lb rider from the factory. It makes more difference than a pipe on how well it performs. Also you do want the e-start on whatever you get.

Those old XRs are good bikes. I've had several of them over the years. My favorite was a '93 XR250 that I bought new and just raced the wheels off. I miss that bike.

That short list of service items would have cost much less than $750. Those are very basic service items and hardly worth mentioning in the ad. Whenever a seller says he's poured money into his machine recently, red flags should go up. Get to the bottom of that story. Carburetors rarely need to be repaired from normal use.

Ask how longs he's had it, how often and where he uses it and why he's selling it.

Check the suspension. The Pro-Link bearings will fail if you don't keep them greased. There are grease gun fittings on it, but most people ignore them. Lift the back of the bike off the ground and then see if there's any play in the linkage when you try to lift he wheel up and down. There should be no play or maybe just a little. While the back of the bike is off the ground, see if you can rock the wheel from side to side on the axle. These bikes have puny wheel bearings and seals compared to modern dirt bikes.

Are the sprokets worn? Any loose spokes or dents in the wheel rims?

Lift the front wheel off the ground and turn the handlebars from side to side. Do you feel any clicks or roughness in the steering head bearings? The steering head seals wear out and allow dirt and moisture in, which ruins the bearings after awhile. None of the suspension bearings on this bike have a 13-year lifespan. While you're holding the handlebars to test the steering head bearings, look down and see whether both the clutch and brake levers have the ends broken off. They sure look that way in the photos, and the left side grip is all torn up. Is the handle bar bent? It looks like an inexpensive steel bar, and they bend easily.

Ask what happened to the original muffler. If he doesn't know or says he threw away, well, that says something. The original muffler needs no service and is nice and quiet. The FMF pipe that's on to needs to be re-packed with fiberglass from time to time or it gets loud and annoying. It won't really make the bike a lot more powerful. If he's prepared the bike for sale it shouldn't have old packing. Ask whether the carb was re-jetted to match the pipe. Look at the air filter. Is it fresh and clean? Or old and nasty?

This bike doesn't have a big skid plate, just case guards. They are original to the bike, and that's OK, but look at the bottom of the frame tubes under the engine to see if they're smashed from hitting rocks.

Look for oil leaks around the shaft the holds the front sprocket.

I think this bike would have come with an odometer when it was new. I don't see the drive cable going to the front wheel, but it's hard to be sure from the seller's photo. Look into that. If the drive cable is removed and the hole left open, dirt and water can get into the front hub and damage the bearings. Do the lights work?

Ask if he has the owners manual or a service manual.

This is only a partial list of things to consider. I buy a lot of used motorcycles. The two main things I look for are how it's been handled by the prior owner, and whether there are signs of deferred maintenance. Nuts and bolts that don't match, fasteners damaged by crescent wrenches and vice-grips, and incorrect or missing parts are the things that make my radar blink.

This might be a fine bike, but you should check these things before you get your wallet out. If it passes all the tests the price might not seem too high.

Here's a pic of an original-looking XR250 of about the same age you can use to compare.

If your willing to spend 1700 to 1800 you can get a mx 250f .There pretty fast and are easy to ride but require more maintenance because they have race engines they are a blast to ride. The xr 250 is also a good bike for riding trails with much less maintenance.

Last edited:
Depends on what "Repair and adjust carburetor" really means. Most likely it was left without frequent riding and the E-10 has gotten to it and needed "the clean-out" rebuild. But do ask what that means.

I don't know where in CO you are. But here is a light weight choice. It's a 2 smoke, but they are good bikes. Has hand guards likely not e-start.

Thank you very much Tom that was very informative and had lots of good thongs that I will definitely be looking at when I go to see it.

Tundra Beagle- I will be doing mostly trail riding and have considered the newer CRFs and all but being this is my first bike I want to start of mellow and not get bogged down with maintenance.
Kawazukimaha- I saw that one on craigslist as well. What do you think of these KDX 200 two strokes. How long do they last? Do they compare to the XR 250? Would it be too much for a beginner?

jrzmac

Thank you very much Tom that was very informative and had lots of good thongs that I will definitely be looking at when I go to see it.

Tundra Beagle- I will be doing mostly trail riding and have considered the newer CRFs and all but being this is my first bike I want to start of mellow and not get bogged down with maintenance.
Kawazukimaha- I saw that one on craigslist as well. What do you think of these KDX 200 two strokes. How long do they last? Do they compare to the XR 250? Would it be too much for a beginner?
I think a 250 might be a little much for a beginner. have you ever had a dirt bike before? if you know had to ride, it shouldn't be too bad. but I wouldn't start off on a 250!!!!! :scooter:

I have ridden my friends Kawasaki 125 four stroke so I know how to work the clutch and all that. Also, being 6 foot 1 and 170 lbs (15 years old and still growing) I don't want a bike that I will get bored on too quick.

Ive never owned one but have heard nothing but good things about them... there some good info on them from people that have owned kdx200s on http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/

A 250 4 stroke wouldn't be too much for a kid his size the power is pretty manageable and easy to ride, I hopped on a 125 2 stroke when I was about his age and I wasn't as big as him.

I've got a crf230 that I use for trail riding.great bike,not to small and not to big.can't go wrong with a Honda we got 4 bikes and one four wheeler,all Honda

Yoop- Looks really fun! Can't wait to get a bike and start riding!
What do you all think of the one craigslist that I linked in my post above?

the xr looks decent.don't think I'd pay that much.
I payed less for our 230 and got a new helmet and goggles with it.i think it's an '07
go check it out if it's close and see what his bottom line is.

never had a kawi, looks good too.but if your going to do mostly trail riding ,I'd go with a 4-stroke, just my opinion

The two strokes have more hp per displacement. Since it is a pre-mix set up you will have to have pre-mix on hand with a good stabilizer added. You can get gas at the pump but you'll have to carry oil to add based on how much pump gas you add. If you keep the air filter clean and oiled properly a two stroke top end will last a long time. Not very difficult or expensive to re-ring a top end. If it is not well maintained then the expense to rebuild can get out of hand. In the good ole days we just got them bored and went up a size on the piston and rings. These modern liquid cooled bikes have a high tech "chrome like" surface in the bore. If it gets damaged either replace the sleeve or get it resurfaced. Both are costly choices. The KDX 200 is plenty powerful, controllable, light weight (big plus on tight trails) and durable. The 02 KDX is also street legal which is an advantage in itself for using it also for resell. Good maintenance is the key on any two stoke. Not saying you should not keep a 4 stroke maintained but with a 2 T it becomes more critical.

A guy your size and weight the KDX 200 or a 4 stroke 250 would be a good place to start. The Suzuki DR200 is 4 stroke and is also a good street legal choice. Same goes for the Yamaha XT225. Since you are looking at your first bike one very important rule I always follow is ATGATT. All The Gear All The Time. Helmet, Gloves, Eye Protection, Boots are a must and minimum level of gear even if it's just a quick putt for a few minutes. I have been down, thrown off and even taken out by a large diameter pine tree. Never been hurt, cut or broken a bone. I always wear a jacket with Armour built in lower back, shoulders and elbows.
Knee guards may be a good idea with all the rocks around CO. Here our biggest nemesis is sugar sand - EVERYWHERE in FL.

What bike does your buddy have?
I don't know if I helped any. Probably raised more questions than I answered.
You can go to our Dual Sport Forum and get plenty of good information.
DixieDualSport: Street and Dirt, We Ride It All!

Last edited:
So right now I am probably just going to pass on that XR 250 in favor of waiting for one in more decent condition. My dad says the two strokes are too loud and I know this is the case with the racer ones but does this also apply to the KDX 200? I have heard its basically a two stroke made for the trails. Street legal is not a plus for me with no motorcycle license....at least for now:shrug:
Oh and my friends bike is a Kawasaki KLX 125 with FMF pipe. Its a four stroke and I believe a 2002 or 2003. Discontinued now though. He is much smaller than me and his bike was fun to ride but too small for me.

Thanks again for all this awesome insight into dirt bikes, the knowledge here is really impressive.:thumbsup: