Do you fish ?

hornet1

Just got back from my yearly fishing trip to Sabine River east Texas . Eight of us went ' we fished 1/2 day full day 1/2 day and came home a 1/2 day early because of weather. Did ok just got 451 sand bass or white bass however you like to say it . Nothing but a good time and can't wait intill next year .

catfishman

Looks like a great time, I used to do alot of catfishing, but I mostly crappie fish these days, well a few times a year. Have the crappie fever right now.

hornet1

Looks like a great time, I used to do alot of catfishing, but I mostly crappie fish these days, well a few times a year. Have the crappie fever right now.
In that river there's some cats in there that will make you think , did I bring a big enough pole ? All fish guts get put back in to the river .

east texas is full of good fishing waters.......lake fork is one.......I lived on a county lake north of tyler that was full of fish........from cats to crappie and I will have to agree...the later is the best eating and for me the most fun to catch........minnow and bobber for me......I caught may a 2 and 3 pounders......just right to filet......oh does this thread bring back some good fishing memories........:wink:

I'm not a big fish fellow so I have ask what are those in the photo?

Is that a Crappie?

I heard of these but don't think I have ever seen one.

Looks like a rock bass but bigger and meatier.
If it is something in the same family its probably a busy fish that punches well above its weight.

If you come to the north land you find rock bass.
They look like that only small and darker.
I don't eat them but I know some folks who do and its considered good pan fry like a blue gill sunfish.

I'm a fishing fool, used to go every day regardless of the weather till my kids came to live with me. We do some fishing together now and both kids are really into it and both can cast a spinning reel now, my 18yo boy can skunk me now. At my local spot we have hybrid stripers and in an evening I can catch 200+ when they run, my fingers look like I sanded them with 40 grit paper afterward from their rough mouths. I also catch some big walleye there, the largest so far was 24" 9.5lbs and she was a gravid female so I released her. 18" or bigger is the law at that lake and I get my limit of 3 per day near every time we go. I love to catch fresh and saltwater fish, I'll fish till the day I die.:thumbsup:

What you call a Walleye we call a Pickerel up here.
Same fish just a little slower growing in colder water.

Now that is a fine eating fish.
I have a spot not far from here where I fish them.
Also large and small mouth in the same area.

Some days we head down town where there's a lake.
I know a couple of good spots near the main public beach where you can fish and limit on some smaller pickeral.
Thats supper...

Looks like a very fun time. :thumbsup: What do you do w/all those fish?
We put 25 fillets per bag then we fill them with water and freeze. And then we do a big fish fry at Texas motor speedway nascar car race and then on 4th of July weekend and then once more for Super Bowl weekend . And then what's left we give to friends and family.

Used to fish the Channel Islands when I was in SoCal. Moved to eastern WA and got into tournament Bass Fishing. I lived and breathed until one day I realized getting ready for tournaments and the like was more work than fun. I sold and traded down on boats and now occasionally fish. When the Gkids are older I'' be taking out for perch jerking. Fileted perch deep-fried in a cold beer/tempura batter is a gastronomical orgasm. :thumbsup:

WrenchDad

We put 25 fillets per bag then we fill them with water and freeze. And then we do a big fish fry at Texas motor speedway nascar car race and then on 4th of July weekend and then once more for Super Bowl weekend . And then what's left we give to friends and family.
We do the same thing with all the walleye we catch in Canada (except we use them at hunting camp not the races). Have you ever tried a vacuum sealer instead of freezing in water. In my opinion it works much easier and better I've thawed out vacuum sealed fish after two years and it tasted like fresh caught. They are a great investment.

Im a fishing nut.When i lived in florida i bet i went 300 days a year.Had a pickup dedicated to the boat.I dont think that truck was disconnected from that boat for at least 5 years.Used to drag the boat to work,then bass fished afterwards.Was born and raised in indiana where the wabash meets the ohio.Fished my whole life,and its my passion.

Still not clear though what kind of fish are they?

They look good.