Does anyone have any info on this clutch?

I have a new old stock Horstman Manufacturing torque converter clutch that I plan to mount on my Speedway. It's very similar in outside appearance to the Comet drivers. The main difference is the Comet has 2 rows of small springs around the center hub and the Horstman has only one row which is actually 2 large yellow springs hooked together. Here's the problem... After mounting the clutch and starting the bike, I couldn't get the clutch to engage. The springs are so heavy that you have to be almost full throttle before the clutch starts to engage. My guess is that these springs were for karts or bikes with a 2 stroke, not a 4hp Tecumseh. Does anyone have any experience with one of these clutches or know where I can get lighter springs? Bill

Horstman made a lot of the torque converters for the Tri-Sport and Dunecycle off road three wheeler with the MAC 101D engines.
And your springs may be hard to find today look on eBay under Horstman clutch I do see some Horstman stuff there but not sure about the converter parts. You may want to ask Maxi-Torque if they have a solution they have been at it for years and are very helpful and knowledgeable people Steve :scooter:

Steve,
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll see if I can get in contact with them. I would like to get my hands on the original style clutch that came on the Speedway. It was a
Dyna-Torque 400 driver. If anyone has one to spare, let me know. Bill

Hey ruppman, I have an original Dyna-Torque driver from a '72 Red Baron. Probably the same as the original on your Superstar.....PM me! hotrodman.....oh wait.....bobco on this site.....:thumbsup:

Bill,
Steve is correct the Horstman is designed for a higher horsepower two cyle application. Do you have any pictures of the Horstman torque converter.

Doug