DoodleBastard - DoodleBug Engine Swap

I was working on a friend's DoodleBug in the driveway and began to take a liking to it and was thinking of getting my own, when suddenly my neighbor came by and gave me his old one that was rotting out in the backyard.

How about that surprise? Ha!

Well, I'm spoiled I guess, maybe even just a little crazy, but the lawnmower clone engines I never really favored, I also prefer a clutch and manual shift. I'm also known around Youtube for swapping inappropriate motorcycle engines into equally mismatched frames.

SO! Just a week before I was given a Honda XR200 engine, which is a 200cc Chinese clone.

A light bulb went off over my head...

I then started to cut out the old, rotten, dead motor from of the DoodleBug frame and placed the 200cc engine in there to evaluate...

and ...

A DoodleBastard was born!

So I'm going to restore/repair the old metal, cut away the junk and upgrade the brakes to make the bike as easily stoppable as much as it will be fast. It needs a lot of help, but hey, it was all free!

More video progress over on DuckManCycles on Youtube at Duckman's Motorcycle Garage - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZZgKbnOm1k

I will be watching this, Welcome to OldMiniBikes!
Hey thanks!

I've always wanted one of these since I was a kid, after getting to ride one it was nothing less than fun! But now that I am over 6'3" and 250lbs I was a little disappointed at its lack of ability to move me up small hills... that won't be a problem anymore! HAHA!

i watched the youtube video and saw you cut your motor plate off would you sell that to me mine looks like swiss cheese because the guy before me cut so many holes in it

Thanks for the welcomes, guys!

A 2-stroke motorcycle engine would be a better fit, without overhead valves the motor is shorter! Even a CR500 engine would fit better but a big 2-stroke motor like that would probably shake the frame to bits, lol.

Yes the transmission is part of the engine, this one was actually from a proper street legal motorcycle.

i watched the youtube video and saw you cut your motor plate off would you sell that to me mine looks like swiss cheese because the guy before me cut so many holes in it
Rather not sell the plate, but only because I would trade for some other DB parts. :)

Last night I pulled and pressed and tweaked the frame to make sure all is straight. A little overkill, but when the engine carriage is horizontally level, so is every other part of the frame. The engine should be easy to get mounted straight now. Also as a result, it make a little more space for mounting the engine. I could go a little larger... LOL!

I'm going to start mounting the new motor by welding head stay tabs under the seat first, and make it somewhat adjustable. Once I get that far, I should be able to swing the motor around, and push it side to side to get the chain aligned.

After that I can measure for, fab, and weld in the other new engine mounting tabs.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

what type of tires you gonna run? is this gonna be a street type doodle bug or off road? you could go to escbono point on it
The tires you see on there should be OK for me... at least until they blow up! HAHA! Its a fact these tires aren't designed for 70mph, and yes, thats a realistic goal for this bike.

Street or offroad, I'll take it anywhere, heh. Maybe even put lights on it. I guess we'll see.

At the moment I'm not dumping any money into it yet, as I got both the engine and the bike for free. All I paid for was some welding materials, so we're keeping this on the cheap for the time being.

Last edited:
Wow, this is looking like an excellent project on my kind of budget: virtually free!! I have often thought about putting in a 200cc motor and I sometimes scour Craigslist for a wrecked bike or parts bike, but I am dreaming right now since I do not really need another motor. Heh, maybe my friend will give me a motor just like yours...you never know.

Good job on this project--I have to give kudos to you because of the way you were able to methodically hang the motor and get it centered, then slanted it to your liking. Nice work. Thanks for posting the photos and the videos. Makes for good late nite entertainment. :D

Wow, this is looking like an excellent project on my kind of budget: virtually free!! I have often thought about putting in a 200cc motor and I sometimes scour Craigslist for a wrecked bike or parts bike, but I am dreaming right now since I do not really need another motor. Heh, maybe my friend will give me a motor just like yours...you never know.

Good job on this project--I have to give kudos to you because of the way you were able to methodically hang the motor and get it centered, then slanted it to your liking. Nice work. Thanks for posting the photos and the videos. Makes for good late nite entertainment. :D
Hey, thanks!

I am actually having a lot of fun with this project, but the price is sure the best part!

There is only about $20 invested into this, just for some welding materials.

I wanted to work on if some more today, but it is uncomfortably cold. I always weld outside so as to not breathe the smoke and fumes. Maybe I will make a model of the gas tank I need to put on here... its good job to do indoors at my desk.