Doodlebug front fork/neck gap

While riding I was noticing a click sound from up front. What I found was about 1/2 inch of free space between the bottom of the frame neck and the lower triple tree. When I would take off the front end would lift and hang there because of the angle, then if I hit a bump the front neck would drop back down causing the click. Should I fill this space with washers or a spacer? Seem like the front neck is taking a pounding due to the large gap???

Thats wied, I would put a stiff spring in there (like a valve spring) Just cut it to fit and place it at the bottom of the tree. :thumbsup:

Motra

Mine has the gap too. Fortunately they left the assembly instructions in the packet I got with the bike and according to the instructions there's supposed to be tapered washers on both the top and bottom of the steering bearings that take up that gap. Unfortunately they charged me a $30.00 prep fee to put it together incorrectly. I've been in contact with Baja Motorsports to try to get these washers with not much luck yet. The weird thing is that they're not listed in the parts manual so it's been so it's been a pain in the @$$ trying to get them. If I find something out I'll post it.

Mine has the gap too. Fortunately they left the assembly instructions in the packet I got with the bike and according to the instructions there's supposed to be tapered washers on both the top and bottom of the steering bearings that take up that gap. Unfortunately they charged me a $30.00 prep fee to put it together incorrectly. I've been in contact with Baja Motorsports to try to get these washers with not much luck yet. The weird thing is that they're not listed in the parts manual so it's been so it's been a pain in the @$$ trying to get them. If I find something out I'll post it.
You might try to go back to the place you bought it,,,, they probably have a pile of left over parts. :doah: Or tell them it's unsafe and they charged you for bad "prep".

Last edited:

OldMan

Both of mine have plain flat washers, top and bottom of the stem. Local hardware store would likely be quicker than other options. :biggrin:

Motra

The flat washers are on the outside of the fork mounts and the tapered ones go between the frame and fork mounts. There are four washers in all. They're probably not noticeable when assembled correctly, you just don't have the gap. Pep Boys says the washers weren't with the bike but the one they have on the floor has them on it in the wrong position (based on the Baja Motorsports official assembly manual, not my opinion). They don't seem to want to help me at all.

den35

...... Pep Boys says the washers weren't with the bike but the one they have on the floor has them on it in the wrong position (based on the Baja Motorsports official assembly manual, not my opinion). They don't seem to want to help me at all.

Sounds like Canadian Tire up here,where I got mine.They seem to bring these bikes in,sell them then say "it's yours now,you deal with it".

Good thing there's the OldMiniBikes crew to help us out.:thumbsup:

OK guys I have found the "tapered" washers that are suppose to be in the neck. The washer people call these Conical Washers. They are important to have in, because then the upper and lower tree are bound to the neck bearing. Thus tightening the front fork bolt will NOT bind the front end. Also, the tension rides on the bearing - where it should. The upper and lower tree will have a slight bow from tightening to the required 20 ft. lbs., but that is perfectly OK. It is an engineering design to add extra tension to the fork bolt and nut. MOTRA was having problems locating them - the factory doesn't know that they exist. You can purchase them from Fastenal. Just do a web search for Fastenal. Its part or sku # 40276 - M10 Plain Finish Conical Washer for .36 cents each. Then the frontend will be safe and proper..........IPD Dave

Motra

Thanks IPD Dave! That's really cool of you to get that info for us. I've been using a hard plastic spacer on the bottom but I know it's not doing the bearing any favors. It just slides against the outside of the sealed bearing, but it turns smoothly.

Thanks again,
Steve

Anyone have any pics of these spacers?

I just disassembled the front-end of my DB-30 for a general inspection. Aside from having the feeling that it was not assembled correctly. I found that the top bearing was not turning freely.

The original bearings are not weather resistant or moisture proof. The bearing number is: #6900 Z

I replaced the original bearings (#6900Z) with a set of sealed bearings with the part number of: #6900 RS

Thanks

Supposedly the "RS" designates "Rubber Seal"

Jay2

After seeing this thread, I looked at our 3 DB's, and found a lot of difference.

Original DB (yellow) purchased used: appears to the washers in as I can see a washer and there is no gap.

DB (red) purchased new at Pep Boys spring 2009: has a gap just as noted in this thread.

DB (red) purchased this 3rd one at PB in spring 2009: does not have a gap, but cannot tell if there is a washer in, because looks like bolt was tightened down hard enough to bend top horizontal piece on fork.

Later this week, I think I will disassemble the 2 red DB's and check over. Thanks to others for posting part numbers and solutions to this issue.

Motra

It just comes down to the goofballs that assemble them. The instructions are clear, too bad the dip:censure: don't read them. The thing that pissed me off is that I paid $30.00for it to be assembled incorrectly.

delray

take a look how they did this one from factory:doah: looks like they just crank the hell out of the bolt down:hammer::doah: you can see the top triple tree plate is bent down and the bottom little too.

something wong :chinese:

Yesterday I took the front forks off my one DB30, and found a few things which were not correct.

- Conical washers are missing. Looked on-line at Fastenal's web site, and part number which IPDDave gave is correct and listed, only problem I had is that it noted that all area Fastenal stores did not have this item in-stock, but they said it was available on-line. My local Fastenal store is not open on Saturday so I will check on Monday to see if they can order these items. I did try to order on-line, but could not figure out how to register, or seemed that if was only for wholesale business? Hopefully the local stores can order.

- Pep Boys assembled the front forks incorrectly - had the wheel hub spacers on backward (the short piece is suppose to be on the left side). Not sure if this makes any difference, but reinstalled it correctly.

- Also found that there was not a large washer on the front wheel assembly in front of the caster nut. Went to the local hardware and purchased a washer for .15.

Really makes me wonder if they even looked at the installation instructions when they first assembled at Pep Boys?

I recently checked out the front end of my DB-30. This one wasn't to bad compared to some of the stories here. The other day I picked up another DB-30 & it has a lot of slop in the front end. I have not torn into it yet to inspect it further.

The conical washers that were installed on the first DB-30 are very slight. I really had to examine the profile to determine what side was what. If you look closely enough you should be able to see that one side will engage the inner bearing race, but if you flip it over, it will not.

I recommend that everyone replace the original bearings with a sealed bearing. Here is the info from my previous post on the steering neck bearings.

The original bearings are not weather resistant or moisture proof. The bearing number is: #6900 Z

I replaced the original bearings (#6900Z) with a set of sealed bearings with the part number of: #6900 RS

Here's a few pics of the bearings. Check out the black bearing. That is the rubber seal to keep moisture out.

Last edited: