Drilling through keyway on shaft for Max-lube clutch.

I got my new Max-lube clutch the other day and am having a hard time drilling through the shaft. I have tried cobalt and hss bits with no avail. Would carbide do the trick? Just checking to see what others used to get this done.

Thats wierd, I've drilled and tapped a few shafts with just TI coated bits and have used the same bit over and over.

Whats even more scary is they came from Harbor freight! :eek:ut::doah::eek:ut:

Are you using a drill press?

Cobalt bits can go through some pretty hard steel when mounted in a drill press set to a low RPM and a coolant like RapidTap is used...

Handheld drills usually burn up bits because the RPM's are too high, the drill isn't steady enough to provide a constant bite angle, and the bit overheats and dulls the cutting edge...

Oldsalt

If you make a HS drill turn red when drilling mild steel it will sometimes make the metal in the cutting area hard as the hinges of hell. Then you gotta get a drill to break through the hard metal you created. Try useing a pilot drill of about 1/8 inch, then follow up with the final drill size. Go as slow as possible and use oil. NEVER start drilling anything with a dull or chipped drill. It will often burn up, especially if operated by a fast hand drill.