Drive shaft too short!!!!!

I aquired a Flathead 5hp Briggs. as i attemped to 'rotate' the clutch to acomodate the chain... i noticed that the drive shaft is only one inch long?!?! :blink: the keyway is on the opposite side of the gears. all of you probably knew that, but since there wasnt any keyway on the needed side, i was screwed! i wasnt about to return a $100 5hp Briggs, so i toyed with my clutch a bit and finaly rigged a suitable setup. what i did is hacked out a keyway in the 'smooth' side, but noticed that any keyway would prohibit the free spining of the clutch bell. :facepalm: the 'tube' that the driveshaft goes into is divided into two halves (as i found out later) so i hacked out like a 5-6mm long notch to accept the key thinger. the key thinger now sits on that dividing line, serving two purposes, a key to sit in the shaft keyway to keep the clutch spining, and to keep the two halves in one place. hopefully this sketchy explanation is enough to create a mental image.

this set up is working for now, but is beating the shit out of the key thinger and the keyway on the shaft is showing some signs of wear. since i ride that minibike mostly everyday, i need a cheap, solid solution. (if there is one...) i do not have the most tools, so any idea could probably be better than mine!

please keep the rude comments to a minimum, i know i proly deserve some shit for mostly destroying a perfectly good maxtorque clutch, but still.

again, any comments/ideas are greatly apreciated!

You have a pump engine with a short output shaft, the only good way to run one is to use a gear on the output shaft and run a clutch on a jackshaft. Too much trouble unless you have a minibike already set up for one. You could use it on a kart and get another engine. Some of those Ebay clowns are selling short shaft engines with clutches to fool the perspective buyer, hope that's not what happened to you.:doah:

the shaft must be threaded for a bolt right? otherwize im sure the clutch would fall apart. I think if you make a spacer to put in there with a bolt hole and keyway it would greatly reinforce the key and everything

no i did not get scammed, i got offered a running Briggs with new clutch for $125. i snatched it up before i thougt to look at the shaft. Heck, i didnt even know they came in shorter sizes. well i do now. my bike does not have a jack shaft setup. and cant cuz it has a scrub brake setup. if i could get another engine, i would, but i love flathead Briggs and i know you can find one, but i dont have the money.

and yes it does have a threaded inlet... if my current set up doesnt work, i will look into an extention piece.

Here is your comment. The motor needs a new crankshaft. One with 3/4" non tapered shaft. Go to a lawn mower shop and get you one. This is a learning thing..:scooter::laugh::shrug::scooter:

Let us know?

TT

ive looked all over the internet for a crankshaft but came up empty handed. here is my model number plus the part number if you could help me in finding a site that stocks a crankshaft...

model number: 135202-0258-01

part number: 397103

alright people, thanks to Ibanez616, i have secured a crank for my briggs! i sent off the M/O today! i also took my engine to the local mecanic and they took off the flywheel bolt, now the question is how im gonna get that thing back on... :eek:ut: if i got this far, i think i can figure something out!

alright people, thanks to Ibanez616, i have secured a crank for my briggs! i sent off the M/O today! i also took my engine to the local mecanic and they took off the flywheel bolt, now the question is how im gonna get that thing back on... :eek:ut: if i got this far, i think i can figure something out!
Opposite the way it came out is how it goes back in, the new crank will be different only on the outside.:thumbsup: