driveX pack mule

I'm new to this forum and new to minibikes in general. I just picked up a 1960's (I believe) DriveX pack mule on a trade. It has a newer tecumseh 6hp engine on it. I'm curious as to how to go about finding another rear wheel for it. It has 8" wheels. The rear wheel assembly has a welded hub that houses bearing and 'spacers' for the axle, and the sprocket bolts to it.
I'm wondering if I could find an appropriate hub that would bolt on to an 8" wheel with four bolts? I'll get some pics posted after the weekend to clarify what I'm talking about.
The reason I want the extra wheel is so I can have one with a high traction tire on it for the wet, muddy season and not have to mount/dismount tires when I want a different tread.
Any thoughts?...

Also, any idea where to get a fuel tank?

Last edited:
Have any pictures of your mule? Would help immeasurably with the fuel tank question.... If it is just a Briggs gas tank, swap meets are great for them otherwise FeeBay or Craigslist might get you one. Cost/availability all depend greatly on what era engine and what style tank.

Hope that helps some-don't know much about the tires/rims yet, though. PLEASE POST PICTURES! There are sooooo few of them on the internet for these great machines.

UPDATE: ooooops, *duh* I see you have some in your gallery - I'm off to check them out.

So, having looked at your pictures, which gas tank are you looking for? The one as currently mounted up top (looks like a modern generic?) or the original ones as shown on your Briggs engines? (the square ones) I have seen the originals pretty frequently actually at swap meets-just saw a table full of them at the Oregon Steam-Up this last weekend, so they are pretty common. It is possibly also still available brand new from Briggs themselves (albeit spendy), along with the original owners and parts manuals.

You could also clean and line it like people do motorcycle tanks. Google "electrolysis method for rust removal" for a great way to clean it OR use "Metal Etch" metal cleaner from Home Depot. Then, once clean, line it with POR-15-again, a great product many people use on old motorcycle tanks.

Last edited:
Kewl, glad you found one. Neat looking 'Mule, by the way, I dig the green color. We are thinking of going OD green on ours. Interesting that yours has a front fender but no rear. Mine has the rear but no front....lol.

Last edited:
Thanks Moto! I've picked up another that I'm in the process of re-doing. I had it sand-blasted and powder-coated sage green. I'll be getting a motor from Steven Durham (I believe he's in your neck of the woods).
Be sure to post picks of yours as you get it done!

post up some pictures!

you'll find the most gratification if you learn and do the work yourself!!
it's easy, none of us are rocket surgeons!

I'd also start your own thread, this one is several years old!