driveX pack mule?

Hi, I just picked this up a couple weeks ago and have a couple of questions:

1. Is this a driveX pack mule?

2. The final drive chain seems a little sloppy: is this normal?

3. Did these originally come with a belt/clutch system?

4. It looks to me that a previous owner welded a thin plate with supports under it to mount the motor; Is this how the motor was originally mounted?

This seems to run pretty good, but vibrates a bit! I'm thinking about removing the current mounting system for the motor and fashioning a couple brackets that would attach the frame with rubber between the fastening points to help reduce the vibration a bit. I've only had it out once so far with my wife riding behind me on a logging road. I'm going to take it out again soon a ride up a electric pole line I've been wanting to explore.

Lastly, any suggestions as to where to find a decent gas tank? This one has been repaired and leaks.

Thanks for any input/comments!

Last edited:
hey whats up i have 2 of those your tin work is missing and the pegs are not stock but your pegs are better if you use it, and the tin wont let you get to things if it breaks in the field.yes they had a variable speed torque converter from the factory.originaly they had a 3-5 or 6 hp briggs and were mounted to a plate with vibration dampners at the front and rear of the plate to the frame . one of mine has a h60 mounted like yours and will vibrate the fillings out of your teeth im going to set it up like stock soon. they also have a 12 inch rack out the back of the seat frame rails nice for a cooler, gear etc. as for the chain a bit loose is better than to tight its hard to adjust because its so short and the pillow block is mounted on a rail thats at a 45 deg . angle i used 2 grade8 washers under the pillow block to get the tension just right . yours is about a 1959 to 1962 give or take. theres not much info out there on them do a search theres a exploded parts diagram out there and a few pics let me know if you cant find it ps nice bike but that motor :doah: get a flat head

me again, i also noticed the sprocket on the end of your first jackshaft is huge i can let you know the stock gearing if your intersted?the stock gearing will pull me up a tree from a dead stop i weigh 225 and will still give me 30 on a road things so damn rigid i dont want any more speed oh ya its a drive x pack mule you have for sure.

Thanks for your input! I would like to know the stock gearing. Also, could you possible send me a pic of the stock mount set-up?
You're right about the vibration!
Thanks again for your response.

Awesome, thanks!
I also have another question if you don't mind... on the front jackshaft the pulley looks like it has some kind of clutch or something, it has a spring inboard, with a sleeve of sorts. Is it clutched somehow?