Dune Cycle Help

Motra

Does anyone here speak Dune Cycle fluently? I have a friend who wants to build a Dune Cycle, he has the frame and forks only. I see on mfgsupply.com that we can get a Comet differential, axles, wheels, brakes, torque converters, and seemingly everything we would need to complete this project. I gave him a 12.5 horsepower OHV Tecumseh engine for it and he's pretty excited to get it going. Any opinions?

Some of the Dunecycle frames were very light weight and a 12 1/2 hp engine would be a lot of motor for them because of the weight of the 4 stroke engine. Dunecycle made non suspended models and when they went for the bigger engines they were with full suspension. They made a lot of 5 & 8 HP units and even made a model with a Wankel 8 HP engine. The light weight MC Culloch 101D engine and the Horstman torque converter was a very fast machine for the track but did not do as well off road. The fully suspended units went with a lot of twin cylinder snow mobile engines and were called the spider but they are very rare and extremely hard to find any parts for. Against a Tri-Sport their frame design was great for the track but just too light for serious off road challenges. Your 12 1/2 HP Tecumseh will require a larger size torque converter with a 1 inch driver unit I would stay with the Comet brand and get the Magnum 44C drive clutch because it is very tunable and will work for the four stroke engine and this unit has the 7/8 inch wide belt . One thing most early trikes were short of were good brakes and with todays high cost of medical aid you best be able to stop. Martin brakes and disc are the way to go they are dual piston and work real nice when the proper diameter disc is used. My little mystery trike will use Martin brakes and it is only 6 1/2 HP. If this machine will be used off road make sure you have enough ground clearance and use tire size to gain height but don't go with two wide of a tire. I often had more than one set of tires & wheels for my trikes and used 13 inch Falcon wheels &Jeep tires on the off road desert races Put up some pictures of the frame and front end and engine if you get a chance. Steve