engine modifications to a doodlebug

I NEED MORE POWER.
i weigh a good 195 lbs and the honda 2.8 hp clone just doesnt do the job.
im interested in buying a used 5 hp honda engine for it, but im new at minibikes and this forum, and i wondered if any modifications needed to be done for the new engine to properly bolt on to the old frame. also, if i need to buy any more parts besides the engine to get it running. thanks!

get a 6.5 clone from HF and an engine plate from cjtmini (member here). you'll also need to get a 3/4" clutch.

he also sells complete kits with the motor.

you could always try doing a search, this has been discussed many times. the stock 2.8 is pretty much useless to an adult and only good for kids.

Last edited:
i've considered a honda clone, but i would be taking the honda engine of a power washer, and id be getting it for 100$. i figure that's a pretty good deal, judging that theyre 360$ new. do you know what chain #it is for getting a new clutch? or how many sprockets it has? the bike is at my house 100 miles away, so i can't really look to check. thanks!

i've considered a honda clone, but i would be taking the honda engine of a power washer, and id be getting it for 100$. i figure that's a pretty good deal, judging that theyre 360$ new. do you know what chain #it is for getting a new clutch? or how many sprockets it has? the bike is at my house 100 miles away, so i can't really look to check. thanks!
you can get a 6.5 clone from harbor freight for $99 on sale.

what chain is your bike running now? if it's 35 (should say on the side of the chain), get a 35 clutch and some kart chain. you'll be good to go. pick up a chain tool too, they're worth having.

clone motors use a 3/4" clutch (2.8 db ones use a 5/8").

Get Creative And Fab Up Brackets, Weld On Hangars, Chop And Grind To Custom Fit Any Motor, Within Reason, To Your Frame. The Worst You Could Do Is Trash It!?