Engine swap on Murray

I recently bought a Murray mini track 2. I need some advice on putting a new motor on this frame with out to much complication. The old tecumseh motor is not wanting to stay running. After looking at some replacment parts I was thinking I may be better off to just start over. What say you?

Thanks. Going with another tec wold be a smoother transistion. Where is a good place to check? I only saw Honda clones on the OldMiniBikes site and I checked jacks small engines and they currently had no 3.5 vertical shaft tecs in stock. Another question. Does the tooth count on a clutch matter?

buckeye

Smallenginewarehouse.com.

But the best place would be right on old mini bikes parts for sale section.
You can pretty much put any engine you want on it. Great big hammer and a truck. The truck is for running it over when ya get pissed cause it won't fit.:laugh:

TomH

I have a murray. You can buy a tecumseh, or one from OldMiniBikes, or a predator, from Harbor freight and they all will fit without having to change the the slots on your motor plate. The rear sprocket is large on the Murray, so more teeth on the clutch won't hurt. Be sure to get the right size clutch. You sure the clutch is bad, it might just need a good oiling. If you have a carb problem, this carb is fully adjustable and the only difference it that the fuel inlet is straight. I put one on mine and a inline fuel filter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I0HD62/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Post up a pic of your Track 2. I am in the market for one. Love the looks of those things. I would only replace the entire engine if I was going to bump it up to a 5 or 6 HP clone. I'm sure that you can get the 3.5 Tec running smooth. Carb best place to start.

With the pred engine will i need anything special for the throtle hook up? Do they come spring loaded ro return to idle position?
I didnt use another spring on mine but you could if you wanted too :thumbsup: you will need to take the air box off, it makes things easier then take the nut off of the throttle arm and remove the wave washer , not a big deal and it make the throttle mover easier :thumbsup: The preditor has every thing you need just hook up the cable and go after removing the wave washer :thumbsup:

And from what I understand B&S and Tecumseh don't really use parts made in the USA anymore B&S supposed come from China, Japan and Mexico and from what I see Tecumseh from China. It seems Kohler is the only true blue American company.