Explosive Rifle Targets: "Tannerite"

12lbs of Tannerite (can have up to 50lbs per charge where I live)
YouTube - Geo Metro vs. Tannerite.

Figured I'd share this with some other hobbyist: Tannerite, it's just ammonium nitrate(Fertilizer), and Aluminum Powder mixed together.

Of course if you dont have the means to make it (Crapper Blender, Ball Mill, Aluminum foil, and 34-0-0 nitrate fertilizer.) This website sells it: Tannerite

YouTube - Tannerite Official Instructional Video

Home-Making it:
Grind up the fertilizer prills, store it in an air tight container(It likes to absorb moisture from the air)
Rip the foil into small pieces, grind in blender until it's coarse powder, then put that in the ball mill, and let it run until it turns into fine powder.(Run it for a long time probably 24hours) (Careful not to breathe it in.)
Every 1/2 pound of fertilizer you put 1 tbsp of aluminum powder.

All it takes to detonate it: extreme force; a "high powered" rifle round(2,200+ FPS) will make it go kabloom! So it's near impossible to accidently detonate.

Legalities:
Non Flammable
Legal in all 50 states
No ATF BS - They actually testified in court it's not illegal, and not an explosive by law because it's purpose is for shooting, and it's binary(2 ingredients)
No more than 50lb charges*Usually - (Check your states maximum black powder limit)
Cannot transport Tannerite, so just mix AN, and AL Powder, when, and where you want to use it.

I'll be getting a ball mill sometime in the future, and I'll throw some videos up or something. If you decide to make/buy some, be safe, and stay far far away from it when you shoot it.

:thumbsup:

Green
I suppose it's necessary to make a ball mill. Is yours a PVC capped pipe with lead balls inside?
I don't have a ball mill, haven't made "Tannerite" yet, and yes a ball mill is necessary, pvc pipe + lead balls should work, a lot of pyrotechs I know made their own ball mill.

Oldsalt

I wish to make some "pills" for a pill lock pistol. I sorta have a formula and have managed to accquire some potassium chlorate, the main ingreadient, but am told I'll need a ball mill. Was hopeing you had a discription of how one is assembled. But I'll be very busy for a long time so I needn't be in a hurry to start this project.

Well, If I were to home make one I'd take a crappy fan and use the motor off it, and rig up a belt to run onto an axle with some mini bike bearings or something. :eek:ut:

My feeble diagram:

Oldsalt

Like a rock polisher. That's looks easy enough. I was told that lead balls should be used rather than steel so there's less likelyhood of setting off the mixture by creating a spark. I shouldn't be messing with this stuff because I currently don't have the time. But I can at least collect up some parts and knowledge. Thanks.

Like a rock polisher. That's looks easy enough. I was told that lead balls should be used rather than steel so there's less likelyhood of setting off the mixture by creating a spark. I shouldn't be messing with this stuff because I currently don't have the time. But I can at least collect up some parts and knowledge. Thanks.
Salt, It is not necessary to use "round balls". I've seen lots of mills where they take 1/2 or 3/4 inch diameter brass rod and cut it up into pieces anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 inches long and use those. Steel can be dangerous depending what it is you're milling. Don't know where you'd find lead balls. Come to think of it; it's been a long time since I've seen brass balls anywhere or on anyone. Ogy