FB Yardsale Mini

I figure I will document this project. First, as a kid I had mini bikes, go-karts, 3 wheelers and a couple hotrod lawnmowers. I have built street machines, dirt track machines, crawlers, mudders, scale radio control machines and a few full size bikes, Harley's and others..

I was scanning Facebook, like many I had joined some of the yard sale, one mans junk is another man's treasure groups, and came across a mini.. High school kid selling it. Wouldn't run of fuel from the tank but spray in the carb and it would. Price was low enough I figure I am buying a roller with a boat anchor.

Got it home, tried to clean out the carb and tank and still couldn't get it to run on tank gas. With spray I got it to idle for about 5-10 seconds and it sounded like it might have a small knock. Went looking for a replacement carb, found this site, and took some advice and went and picked up a 212cc Predator. The $99.99 sale ended yesterday but the manager took me at my word that I did call yesterday to check stock and price and wasn't able to make it to the store yesterday before they closed. He over rode the register and I only paid $99.99 plus tax. Hell of a little engine for a Benji..

With info I have picked up from here and youtube I am going to document the evolution..

Attachments

Last edited:
Look up what other guys (and gals) have done with their Doodles. That 212 Predator is going to haul butt as opposed to the 2.8 hp engine on it now. Welcome and enjoy the addiction!

I have been reading and compiling notes on all of the variations I have found. Awesome info on this forum. Thanks to all who have helped. It will be something I enjoy working on.

Got the Predator torn down and awaiting on new parts..

Shopped the OldMiniBikes Warehouse and found the prices better than others.

Predator Stage 1 Kit, exhaust wrap and a race plug are on the way..

Once she is mounted and broken in I think I will look at the Stage 2 Kit.. Or I might look at a sprocket adapter and play with some gearing..

Going to find me a Max Torque with interchangeable sprockets and see how that works.

20160822_143535.JPG 20160822_143825.JPG 20160822_184507.JPG 20160822_182723.JPG

OK, I am looking at the Max Torque clutches and I see that there is a standard SS for like $30 and then a Box Stock/Clone for like $60. What the heck is the difference?

Also can't you change the sprockets on any Max Torque? I want to be able to change my gearing if I desire. I am thinking the SS will let me do that??

Thanks for all the info and ideas..

OK, I am looking at the Max Torque clutches and I see that there is a standard SS for like $30 and then a Box Stock/Clone for like $60. What the heck is the difference?

Also can't you change the sprockets on any Max Torque? I want to be able to change my gearing if I desire. I am thinking the SS will let me do that??

Thanks for all the info and ideas..
Yes you can buy different gears for the cheap max-torque !!

Yes you can buy different gears for the cheap max-torque !!
OK that's what I thought and I found out the difference between the two is the key way, one has a key, one a slot.

I really appreciate all of the help I have received from everyone. I am enjoying this build and getting back into Mini's much more because of this site and all of you.

Thank you..

Mocked up the clutch and a chain guard I bought from a local Go Kart Shop. Yes I know I could have saved some money by ordering it on line but I try to spend money local when I can.

I am hoping my OldMiniBikes Stage 1 kit shows up tomorrow..

20160826_161526.JPG

Last edited:
Got my box from OldMiniBikes Warehouse.. She is all mocked up and ready to put in the frame. I am hoping it fits as is and I can get to the fuel cap. Id rather upgrade the flywheel, rod, cam and springs next rather than have to get a new tank and such. I just want to break her in and get it figured out then go to the no governor hi-po setup.

20160827_145006.JPG 20160827_145018.JPG

I got the frame ready and sat the new Predator in it. Not much room for adjustment so my slide holes won't be very long.

Used a cleaning rod as a straight line and measured the off set from the side of the engine plate to the block.

20160827_171545.JPG
20160827_171553.JPG

Fuel cap will come off and clear.

20160827_171644.JPG
20160827_171703.JPG

BUT.. the exhaust manifold won't work as it is.. Might see about heating it up and bending an off set in it to keep the muffler inside the frame.

20160827_171607.JPG

Stock handle bar kill switch will work fine. I used the shroud plug out of the old motor to plug the hole in the new Predator shroud left from where I pulled the stock switch.

Left a message in the forum for exhaust in the OldMiniBikes Warehouse section..

Could do with an option for your KIT_HEMI-MINI-S1 with the two different manifolds, KIT_HCMBS the 8" version or KIT_HCMBTS the 11" version.

Not having the option forced me to buy the KIT_HEMI-KART-S1 which has the KIT_PM kit in it hoping it would clear the frame, it did not.

I contacted OldMiniBikes about the issue was told that no returns on parts of kits and given a link to the policy where it states if you want to return part of a kit and not the whole kit contact for authorization. Kind of a double talk.

Anyway, not happy but understand it's just business. Well I will definitely look at taking my business to whomever will sell me the correct manifold at the cheapest price and it may not be OldMiniBikes.

Thanks