First build, the "Jimmy Gote"

Maybe winging it tends to make one be creative. I think some of the most fun parts of building are repurposing or just lucking out by having useable materials already on hand.
I am trying to use anything I have, plus readily available, off the shelf stuff. Be nice if I had a lathe or a really good friend with one. I have a couple welders, drill press, bunch of wood working stuff, so I tend to look at what I have and think of a way to get there from here. Some days I really impress myself, other days I catch my willy in my zipper. It's a crap shoot most days.

I am trying to use anything I have, plus readily available, off the shelf stuff. Be nice if I had a lathe or a really good friend with one. I have a couple welders, drill press, bunch of wood working stuff, so I tend to look at what I have and think of a way to get there from here. Some days I really impress myself, other days I catch my willy in my zipper. It's a crap shoot most days.
Yes, a lathe makes a big difference. Also, a band saw. The master of repurposing, I think, is fellow OldMiniBikes member jeep2003. You might want to check out his amazing builds.

Radiator in work truck decided it was done. So this weekend will be spent on it. If I get time I need to move some mounts around on the forks to get some trail in the front end. I started with 16 degrees rake and about 3 inches trail, but for some twisted thinking I put the axle ahead of the rake line which killed all my trail. Thinking it would add caster. Steers ok at speed but at low speed it steers like a Walmart shopping cart that has been run over by a truck. Adding brakes, foot pegs and a plywood seat really helped! Took it off road a bit, lots of power. Hit some "damp" dirt. Fricking mud bog! Plowed right on thru. I need to get those fenders on soon. I looked like the creature from the black lagoon when I got home. Took 20 minutes to hose off the bike and scrape mud off me.

Played with the TC today. New black, weaker springs for the driver pulley. Way to weak as it wanted to launch at idle. Went one weak, one stock spring and all is well!. I may have it geared too low, seems I spin the tire a lot. But haven't went off road very serious yet, mostly flat ground. Found I did not have quite enough clearance from the jack shaft and the TC. Seems it was close enough to pop the master link off and let me see how easy it is to push the beast about a half mile. Luckily some of it was downhill and I could coast. The brakes still are not good enough. I can't get enough travel out of the hand brake to get much stop out of it. Trying to decide if I want to make a foot brake that I can stomp the dickens out of, or spend the money for a juice disc brake for a go cart. Or thicker soled boots.

Come up with a couple chain tensioners today that should work. Not the prettiest, but I think are hell for stout. I seem to have a loud rattle when backing off the throttle. I think it is the stock exhaust. I got the glass pack stuff and the spark arrester so I can build my exhaust pipe. See if that helps. I'll try to post a few more pics next day or so. About to tear it down and paint and reassemble! Oh and I ordered the headlights, a pair of LEDs that draw an amp each. One for low, two for high beam.

pics

more pics. I used a piece of top rail from a chain link fence for the baffle, cut and beat louvers in it, then wrapped in fiberglass, then stuffed in a piece of 2 1/4 fence post or EMT? I had laying around. Need to make a slick way to mount the Forest Service spark arrester that doesn't look too gross.

Attachments

pics

a few more. A quick test and it appears my new muffler is a lot quieter than the stock testicle/ popcorn popper one. Even without being welded on. I notched and bent the baffle so it fit tight on the outlet end, then was able to weld a few places to hold it from rattling. I will never replace the glass if it goes bad, but I may not need to if the baffle works like I think. I know this will never be a stealth bike, but I did want to keep it as quiet as I could. I hate being in the woods, enjoying all the smells, tweety birds, and some twit comes by at warp 9 with straight pipes. Hoping I won't be that twit. I need to find some rubber mounts to hang the exhaust from. Hopefully the motor doesn't move enough to tear the pipe apart. Oh, for the header I went to Homely Depot and bought a pre bent 1" EMT 90. They carry 1/2, 3/4 ,1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2, and 2". Galvanized so a bit tricky to weld. If you do this make sure you get plenty of air flow. 40 years ago I got zinc poisoning from brazing a bunch of rabbit cages. Not fun.

Attachments

Thanks, its been fun,,, at times,, lol. It has a purpose. I have an elk tag this fall and if nothing else it will be in our elk camp has a time waster. And maybe help haul in an elk or two!

What might an elk weigh?
depends if its a cow or bull. Alive on the hoof, 300-800lbs. Field dressed 200-600. A lot of areas we quarter them up, take the back straps and hike out. A hind quarter may weigh a 150lbs plus. A small cow, like last year I could carry one hind and one front quarter,,,, for a while. until I had pink things hanging out my pant legs. It took us three days to pack out the meat. The hunt we been getting drawn for is mostly hike in, pack out. But rarely are we able to back up the truck to the animal. Boned out the meat will weigh 200-400lbs. So maybe this gote will be used to cart a few quarters out of the woods. I am 60 yrs old, bad knees, back, lost about 30% use of my left hand, so maybe its time to use a little help now and then.

depends if its a cow or bull. Alive on the hoof, 300-800lbs. Field dressed 200-600. A lot of areas we quarter them up, take the back straps and hike out. A hind quarter may weigh a 150lbs plus. A small cow, like last year I could carry one hind and one front quarter,,,, for a while. until I had pink things hanging out my pant legs. It took us three days to pack out the meat. The hunt we been getting drawn for is mostly hike in, pack out. But rarely are we able to back up the truck to the animal. Boned out the meat will weigh 200-400lbs. So maybe this gote will be used to cart a few quarters out of the woods. I am 60 yrs old, bad knees, back, lost about 30% use of my left hand, so maybe its time to use a little help now and then.
Thanks for the explanation. No wonder you want a vehicle to bring the meat out of the woods.

A bit of an update. Sorry no new pictures yet, soon. moved the front axle back about 2 1/2 inches so I have about 3 inches of trail. The bike handles so much different! It wants to go where I point it now. Before it was spurs and a big WAHOO! and hope for the best. The new brake cable made a heck of a difference. I can actually stop when I want to now. I made the kick stand for it last week. That was more involved than I thought. I made the rear rack out of 1/2 inch EMT ( electrical Metalic tubing) as I had a bender for that size. I mounted and cut down the front fender today. I have the horn, brake light switch, and mirror ordered. Still looking at tail lights. In a week and a half the state dept guy comes to town to do a level 2 inspections. I been told I need one of those to get a title for the beast. Need to see what my insurance comp will hit me to cover this thing. My goal is to make it street legal. Realy very few places to ride if I don't. Even the Forest Service requires a tag and a title, but then I still cant ride on numbered roads. And you cant ride off road,, ever. So Ill get street legal and can use it to run to the store if I need to. I'll try to post pics later this week.