First Tote Gote: Model 610 serial 986

I bought my first Tote Gote. Cost me $50. Not sure how good of deal that is based on what it is but it should be fun project for my son and I to work on.

Here are some pictures of it.
IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1851.JPG IMG_1852.JPG IMG_1853.JPG IMG_1854.JPG

The last photo shows the accessory rack (not sure what that is) and the kick stand.

Obviously I need an engine, drive chain, and a clutch. I'm thinking of just getting a Briggs & Stratton 6.5 HP off of a pressure washer that some guy is selling locally. For the clutch, would it need a Comet 40? That belt is fairly thick that's on there. And the missing drive chain... The sprocket looks pretty chunky. Any ideas on what size chain it needs?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. I'm sure I'll be living on here for the next few months while this gets running. Any way to tell what year this is?

buckeye

I want to say there are a couple good resto project logs.
Try searching if you haven't.
Those are tough projects from what I see..

Davis

Great bike model 610 I saw that on ksl the rack is original and the bike should have a Briggs 6hp in it.

The 610 was a lower geared version of the Model 600. They were nicknamed the 'climber'. A Comet 40 clutch would be a direct replacement for the original Climbaway clutch although the comet is a bit wider than the original and can cause problems if you are using the original side screens on your gote. a Comet 20 could be used but you would need to use spacers between the clutch halves so you could use the 7/8" wide comet 203790 belt. The chain was #50 for the final drive and a double #35 (#35-2) chain between the jackshafts.
Original motor would have been the briggs 6hP (like Davis said) but a 7hp or 8hp would fit.

Yep. the same one. I'm not going to use those original racks if you know of anyone that wants them, I'll let 'em go for cheap. I'll pick up a #50 chain and look into the motors. thanks again for all the info

Last edited:
Trotter, thanks for the info. Any suggestions on a front wheel/tire setup? Oh, and any way to tell what year it is? Thank you!

I'd rethink those racks. If they are like any other accessory model specific part they can be hard to come by and do add value to them. If nothing else I'd suggest restoring them and hanging them on the wall for now.

I'd rethink those racks. If they are like any other accessory model specific part they can be hard to come by and do add value to them. If nothing else I'd suggest restoring them and hanging them on the wall for now.
Good point. Maybe I'll clean them up and throw them back on. Worst case I can just strap 'em down so they don't flop around. I'm not totally sure how they're supposed to look or if they're supposed to lock out flat or what. Right now they go from folded all the way in where the passenger seat should be to hanging flat against the frame. Thanks. I did more cleaning, degreasing today and inspected all the parts and pieces.

For a front tire, I would look for a 2 ply like the Carlisle stud, something to soften the front suspension. Make sure your motor has a shaft that will work with your clutch choice. There were no records kept for production dates. The 600's were made from '63 to '68. Your low serial # would have been closer to '63.

For a front tire, I would look for a 2 ply like the Carlisle stud, something to soften the front suspension. Make sure your motor has a shaft that will work with your clutch choice. There were no records kept for production dates. The 600's were made from '63 to '68. Your low serial # would have been closer to '63.
I looked at the Carlisle stud tire. Looks like a good option for a 4.80/4.00 x 8.
CARLISLE 480-8 (480 X 400 X 8) STUD / 2-PLY TUBELESS TIRE.

I need to figure out what wheel to use with that. The one on my gote is rusted through and i wouldn't trust it even with a new tire. Are the two piece wheels what I should be looking into? I don't mind going with the biggest fattest tire I can find. My other bike has 21 inch ATV tires front and rear and I love it.

The old rusted wheel looks like it might have had a band brake on it at one point. The axle is a 1/2 in and it looks like most modern tires say they are a 5/8 axle so perhaps the PO just stuck that bolt in to make it roll.

thanks,

Davis

Tote gotes are not tubeless and if your front wheel has a hub it sounds original I am in Utah myself pm me an ill help you out.

UPDATE:

IMG_1871.JPG IMG_1872.JPG IMG_1873.JPG IMG_1874.JPG

I've added my #50 final drive chain, put on some new vibration isolation mounts for the engine plate, and put on the new front wheel. Both front and rear wheels are holding air well. I also added an adapter for the throttle side so it's a standard 7/8" grip size. I've ordered a universal NOS vintage minibike throttle kit.

I pulled the 4.5 HP Subaru Robin off my other bike to see how it would fit the Gote and the exhaust sits about 3mm away from the first jack shaft and completely blocks off the bracket for the band brake. I think I might be better off looking at a briggs to see if that will mount up better. With that 40inch belt on the driven pulley it seems like all the modern OHV engines end up getting shoved to the back of the engine mounting plate with how far forward the jack shafts sit.

I'd love to see some picts of what others are doing with mounting engines on their 600's or 610's.

Thanks again for all the help and encouragement. I'm excited to get this from a roller into a runner!