Floating valves

Oldsalt

One of the common problems with aluminum block Briggs and etc. engines is that the exhaust valve tends, in time, to sink it's seat into the soft block because it is the hotest place in the engine. [One reason for the rather light valve spring pressure on these engines]. As the clearance between the valve stem and the lifter closes up the poor cylinder filling, lack of adaquate compression, and a confused carburretor results in poor idle, loss of power, hard starting and etc.. A brutal cure that I have used is to pull the cover off the lifter box and remove the keeper on the exhaust valve and pry out the spring. Useing a small grinding stone on a die grinder the stem is assulted and shortened a bit. Rinse out the area as much as possible without getting too much grinding dust in the engine and reassemble. Often the little motor runs fine. My neighbor's 5 HP Briggs on his roto tiller has been running fine for a number of years since that was done. Another problem with an aluminum block is that the flywheel side crank bearing is just aluminum in the common engine. If aluminum ever gets hot it oxidizes and creates aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide is a popular abrasive for sanding disks and grinding wheels. So what happens is that the steel crank is "cut". That is not a terrorable problem except that the slop can allow oil to get past the seal and very often make the little plastic plunger, that rides against the crank and opens the points, to open the points at the wrong time. Timing and spark intensity is badly compromised. Is there a BRUTAL cure for this? YES! Take off the flywheel and points and useing a blunt punch and a BFH [Big F***ing Hammer] punch the aluminum case around the crank journal. That will usually close up the clearance enough to make the engine [sorta] run normally for some time. A guy that used to buy and sell used lawnmowers showed me these things. Wanta know how he made donuts? Another time maybe.

Last edited:
oldsalt i just did that to my briggs today and holy frijole! It wend from 50psi compression to over 100. The intake valve wasnt closing till about a half inch from the top of the cylender and the exhaust was opening half way down the compression stroke. All fixed now. i was suprized how much i had to take off. I also used a less worn out exhaust valve because like you said the valve was badly grooved and pitted. Iv had this engine on a cart for 18 years or so without messing with it. Iv got to be carefull pulling the string now so i dont pull a muscle! and it sounds much meatyer like a race motor almost. weelies galore. although the motor has a skip i think its spark related. I may have to use your pound the crank tip. Thanks much for the tips spitnput + oldsalt :thumbsup:

Hey brother! I'm happy to hear that a couple of us wrench graspers were able to help you. I can see that you're already looking for engines to apply the new knowledge to. I think I'm going to play with the intake and exhaust tracts on a couple of motors and see what happens. Maybe plane some heads...you know how it is!
Hey Jeep2003, careful with that throttle hand! I don't want to hear about any "over wheelies"!

Oldsalt

oldsalt i just did that to my briggs today and holy frijole! It wend from 50psi compression to over 100. The intake valve wasnt closing till about a half inch from the top of the cylender and the exhaust was opening half way down the compression stroke. All fixed now. i was suprized how much i had to take off. I also used a less worn out exhaust valve because like you said the valve was badly grooved and pitted. Iv had this engine on a cart for 18 years or so without messing with it. Iv got to be carefull pulling the string now so i dont pull a muscle! and it sounds much meatyer like a race motor almost. weelies galore. although the motor has a skip i think its spark related. I may have to use your pound the crank tip. Thanks much for the tips spitnput + oldsalt :thumbsup:
Jeep. Glad it worked for you. The little flathead engines we mess with are so simple you can get away with murder and they will still run. But the valve springs in a briggs or Tec can easily be "stressed". That is, its very possible to overcompress them when removal is done. When you get the springs off the valves it is good practice to compare their heigth with a spring you know to be good. If a stressed spring is reassembled on a valve it will certinally result in [earlier] valve float. The springs used in these engines are as weak as the manufacture can get away with. One reason is that, as you found out, the exhaust valve sinks into the aluminum block even with a weak spring. Another reason is, as was pointed out before, that the valve float is an RPM limiting device. Better that reving untill the flywheel explodes. Also with very light spring tension even a plastic cam can be used [as in a Briggs Intec].

Check carefully to see if, in fact, there is a loose crank bearing on the flywheel side before doing any pounding. To do that all that's necessary is to remove the shroud and pry the flwheel with a screwdriver. If there isn't a bunch of movement put the shroud back on. Most often the loose flywheel side bearing is found on vertical shaft motors. Like rotary lawnmowers. Probably brought on by lack of enough lubrication because that bearing is at the top of the engine and that's not a good place to be in an engine that is dependent on splash lubrication.

iv got pics of my wagon in the 3rd page of my pics. I finished up the motor on my chopper and it works great its like a new engine. I was having trouble starting those engines too. i had to use ether when they were cold now they start without it and my 3.5 started on the first pull! Im so happy i cant believe i didnt know about this problem before. Just goes to show as simple as these bikes are you still learn new things all the time. Thanks again :thumbsup:

you never know. this extra power is pretty addicting :smile: a beat up old wagon with a shiny blockzilla in it. I like the sound of that :thumbsup:

heck yea man lol put some for wheel tires on the back to
Dude...you keep telling people to buy this, and buy that....it's not that easy. What have you bought since I offered you my Raptor, and you couldn't afford it? A lot of us "can't afford it". Now, come on back with your smart mouth self. Scott.