Ford Diesel F350 Super Duty truck

My '01 F250 w/5.4 gas motor gets about 12 mpg on a good day w/no load and a tailwind, 8 or worse w/a trailer. It's a nice enough truck, but if I'd bought a more expensive diesel I prolly would have saved enough on fuel by now to pay back the difference and it would pull my trailer better to boot. :doah:

JoshM

I have a 6.0 and couldn't be happier. back flush the coolant system and keep up the maintenance ,most of the bad talk is from people that never owned one. Do you own one Josh?
Two of them, actually. The first one was a total mistake. The 2nd one I bought already had it's motor blown, so it got a 12V Cummins installed within a week of purchase.

While working at Beans Diesel Performance, it'd be safe to say that 90% of trucks that came in with problems, even stock, were 6.0L Fords.

Sure, there are some owners that swear up and down that their 6L is great. But those that barely got 50k miles out of it, then had to fork over $5K+ in repairs, will swear, swear, and swear some more.

So how about the newly designed 6.7 Ford diesel??

The 6.0 wasn't even made by Ford? Wasn't it a Cummins (years more experience in diesel making)?

The 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 were all made by Navistar. Subsidiary of IH.

I was hoping when Ford announced years ago that they were designing a new diesel that they would go off their old straight 6 diesel. Very similar to a Cummins.

Our previous truck was a 2007 F350 Lariat Dually diesel. It was good until 70K when it needed some major engine work. Was never the same after that and ditched it. Not to scare you, but id be looking at the Duramax's if I was going back to diesel.

I didn't even look at Duramaxes due to seeing so many problems with the ones that roll through my shop. I know they are common for head gasket issues. The ones I driven have been unbelievable performers, but not reliabe enough for me.

My '01 F250 w/5.4 gas motor gets about 12 mpg on a good day w/no load and a tailwind, 8 or worse w/a trailer. It's a nice enough truck, but if I'd bought a more expensive diesel I prolly would have saved enough on fuel by now to pay back the difference and it would pull my trailer better to boot. :doah:
Exactly my thoughs when purchasing it. It all started when I upgraded my car trailer to a much heavier and larger one. I had been towing with my '73 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 that got 9.5 MPG unloaded. I figured I could drive X amount of miles and the truck would pay for itself....but you could also look at it in reverse and say that you HAVE to drive X amount of miles before the cost is offset. In my case it will years before I put that amount of miles on, but the real things I gained were an extra 2 doors and back seat as well as more suspension, brakes, and pulling power for my larger trailer. Also, I bought the Ford through my business allowing some offset in taxes. Traded the '73 truck to my buddy who does high end street rod interior for work on my '67 convertible.