Forks- Chrome vs. Powdercoat

At the point where I must make a decision on fork finish. Metal is not blemish-free. I could chrome and put-up with any nicks that show through the plating or powdercoat in super chrome and hide any irregularities. This mini was produced with both plated forks and painted with chrome available on the high-line models. Really would like to go and chrome them but it's risky if the chrome can't be buffed-out to hide the crap.

Opinions? What would you do or have done in the past?

Without sending out of state, I can't get quality chroming done (State Regs have shut most shops down). When I took my bike to my powder coater, I asked about the super chrome finish for the fenders. His recommendation was not to use the super chrome finish, as his customers had been dissatisfied with it. If you pursue it, I'd ask to see examples of the powder coater's own work done in that finish.

Go with chrome imperfections in the metal will be welded up then polished out . Chrome plating will cover nothing , if they leave a scratch then you will see it . Although the more they have to repair the more it cost . Here a pic of a rupp front end I had done here in Knox Tn .

Where are you guys getting the chrome done I called a shop locally for a Ruttman Pak mule fender and he said $200 is that the usual prices??

Chrome is great but ain't cheap , my guy cuts me a little slack because he knows I'm building a mini bike and not a 40k Harley , 4-600 at least for forks !

If you want chrome, do chrome. (I have to save up my pennies for this)

I never ask for estimates, as it puts a crimp in the quality. A good shop will never let a part out that has blemishes, because that is their reputation on the line. The exception to this is if you've been doing business with them long enough to convince them that you really don't care if they fix that fender crack, etc.

Like Wulf says, any and all blemishes can be made perfect by starting out with corrective action on any welds, etc. This is followed by several layers of copper which is blended and buffed between each application. Before the part ever hits the nickel/chrome stage, it is already in perfect condition with the copper. They pay a couple of big apes to wrestle these parts around on giant buffing wheels. That is where the money goes.

$600 for a set of forks is robbery. I paid $600 for the complete chrome job on my last Gote.

I do not know what the importance is of having a chrome job done "in your state" especially when the "next state" is a few miles away and packed full of chrome shops. The copper process is not illegal anywhere. What the states are cracking down on are emissions from the process.

Some shops are not willing to comply with these regulations, or do not have the customer base to support the added costs. I get my work done in California, despite the internet lore saying all of the CA shops are shutting down, and only illegals are performing the work by sneaking back and forth across the border. (same website that stated the state of VA outlawed copper by the way)

Both Street-EFX (Norfolk area) and Hanlon Plating (Richmond) have excellent reputations. If not, Paul's has a shop in PA and they have a stellar reputation.

Interestingly, in one of the links to the VA shop is a tab for the repair process which has some decent photos.

Powder coating in place of chrome is just plain wrong. Plenty of people all over the internet will tell you how great it works, and how it's not the same as chrome, but surprisingly good. Screw that. Nothing duplicates a properly plated chrome muffler bearing.

If you want chrome, do chrome.

Powder coating in place of chrome is just plain wrong. Plenty of people all over the internet will tell you how great it works, and how it's not the same as chrome, but surprisingly good. Screw that. Nothing duplicates a properly plated chrome muffler bearing.
Wanting something and ease of living with it could be two completely different thoughts. I'm still gambling that the shop will prepare the metal adequately and therefore hand me a smooth piece. Whether I "want" it or not, it will turn out according to how well they do their business.

As far as the argument between PC and plating, the piece is already coated by the previous owner (who did nothing to check the integrity of this fork before doing so, thank you very little). I don't care for bikes that show entirely in one color. This model could be had with plated front end instead of cheap enamel. I have no idea which model in the range this was. Although this bike is heavily modified, I'm trying to bring back some OE elements. I have no problem cheating and calling it top-of-the-range and chroming the thing. On the other hand, what I could wind-up doing is just admitting it's not OE, never going to be with any amount of chrome (not saying I don't like chrome) and change the color of the coating on the forks to something that offsets the frame color. The only thought in the back of my mind is how well the coating will hide imperfections after some amount of metal prep.

So, rather than continue this post, I could throw caution to the wind and take it over to the chromer and see what they say. If it's a stare, slight smile and head shake no, it's off to the coaters. That's all there is too it. Thanks guys.

So, rather than continue this post, I could throw caution to the wind and take it over to the chromer and see what they say. If it's a stare, slight smile and head shake no, it's off to the coaters. That's all there is too it. Thanks guys.
It really depends on the amount of finish metal work your chrome shop wants to do. When we start asking them questions about price, they stop talking about it. I've seen several instances where very large 50's bumpers get returned to the customer because the budget did not cover what the repair cost would be, or it was too severely damaged for their metal guys to economically work out.

For me, I give them my stuff, and cross my fingers. I tell them "do what you have to do to make it right." I pay for saying that, but it beats having to go through it all over again. And honestly, the guys they employ are far better at metal working than I am.

All I was saying is "if you want it chromed badly enough, you'll pay for it." Chrome PC isn't even a comparison, although some here have argued it is viable.

I totally "get" doing up something modified with a touch of originality. I do the same thing. I did the same thing on my Tote Gote build actually. I like your attitude about it.

Just my thoughts so don't get mad at me lol.

Powder in NO way approximates chrome. I did the fenders on my first bike in chrome powder and they aren't even in the same galaxy as chrome. I was talked into it by the powder guy. Since the bike was my first and it was going to be used by my daughter, I let it pass. When I did my VT-3, it was chrome all the way, no expenses spared. Only chrome and Megan Fox when she was younger pass for chrome.

Doc

Last edited:
It really depends on the amount of finish metal work your chrome shop wants to do.
Yep. Although these guys do work on $40k choppers, one guy whipped out some photos of some customer minis so I believe they have might have "sympathy" for my pocket book.

I hear y'all about powder coat. Not going to do it. It just wouldn't look right trying to replicate something that didn't exist, as such, back in the early 70's.

^Ooookaaay. Well, I was guessing about $150 for my fork assy.. Looks like I'll be digging through my wife's purse for some extra scratch.

And, to make this even worse, it appears I'll be going to one of the most expensive (and most competent) places around to accomplish this task. I feel like I'm building the $6M mini bike...

Last edited:
Without sending out of state, I can't get quality chroming done (State Regs have shut most shops down). When I took my bike to my powder coater, I asked about the super chrome finish for the fenders. His recommendation was not to use the super chrome finish, as his customers had been dissatisfied with it. If you pursue it, I'd ask to see examples of the powder coater's own work done in that finish.
Well, delivered the front end to the shop this AM. Long story short, PC'ing it in metallic silver. The Wilderness made me do it. Sucker for that green/silver combo. Shop owner said something about difficult for chrome to migrate to the backside of the "number plate", must send out to strip the original PC, blah, blah, blah. Oh, $400 for the blah, blah. That shut me down hard. PC is going to be a fraction of that.

At least the forks are getting some love. I'll chrome the next bike a build I guess but I have too much money into this one as it is.

Shop owner said something about difficult for chrome to migrate to the backside of the "number plate", must send out to strip the original PC, blah, blah, blah. Oh, $400 for the blah, blah. That shut me down hard. PC is going to be a fraction of that.

At least the forks are getting some love. I'll chrome the next bike a build I guess but I have too much money into this one as it is.
That is a ridiculous price. I cant fathom a chrome shop without in-house blasting. I wouldn't have spent it either. Those who haven't been sharing PM's with you have no idea where you live, so probably cant comment on your choice of chrome shop. You did ask the question publically.

Being retired and on a fixed income, it's a big decision to chrome. This entire front end was extremely corroded. I did prep the metal, and the five pieces which comprise the front end came to $350.

Yeah, I couldn't understand why this shop (which is well known) didn't have onsite metal prep. Maybe it makes for a cleaner workshop, I don't know. I'm sad but on the flip, this mini bike has been a pain in the ass purchase from the start. It's a solid vintage frame with modifications that rule it out of the "vintage" class. So, just about anything I do to it could be construed as proper. I should have entered the "Anything Goes" class with the build...

At the point where I must make a decision on fork finish. Metal is not blemish-free. I could chrome and put-up with any nicks that show through the plating or powdercoat in super chrome and hide any irregularities. This mini was produced with both plated forks and painted with chrome available on the high-line models. Really would like to go and chrome them but it's risky if the chrome can't be buffed-out to hide the crap.

Opinions? What would you do or have done in the past?
the super chrome powder will have to have a wet gloss clear coat to make it weather durable, this knocks the shine down to a polished aluminum look. its very far from chrome