found at tip, my project

came accross this little sucker at the local tip, soon as i saw it it was in my back shed,,,,, i have no idear of the year or model, but have been doing some research and found parts, so it cant be that old, missing a few things but noting to bad

so can anybody tell me what it is, i paid $40 aud for it, once running i will rebuild it compleatly,,,:thumbsup:

PepBoys special. We used to sell those back around 2000-2002. They're not really a minibike, IMO. They usually have like a 49cc engine and China made. They didn't have very good quality, as we got most of them back. $40, not too bad, new they went for as little as $189. They flooded the market here in Houston so bad, that there were people selling them road-side, dozens at a time.

ahhh man i thought i came accross a buety..... but that was when the american doller was raping the aussie doller, so it still has a little bit of value here.....oh well bit of a polish up and a lick of paint, updated carby and she will do the job,,,,,,, any idear of the top speed of these things, common problems, i can see this one has had a rear swing axle home fabricated, so its not original....

den35

I beg to differ.There's no reason you couldn't dump the 49cc and drop in a good B&S.You have a good looking frame there.A little imagination and effort,and even a cheap chinese bike can be a good rider.

Den35,
Your not from the good old USA, so I'm going to over look your last comment and take it easy on you, and any one else that thinks the chineese, version of the minibike is cool, They're good to look at, cause some of them are tricked out, but take one apart, they're made of bicycle parts, them little parts really are not made to go the speeds that, them bikes go for an extended period of time, add in a little poor maintenance, and you have a bike that's waiting to fall apart, usually while your flying down the road, road rash hurts and takes awhile to heal, added to the equasion, is the ever popular " Buy American" slogan, and the fact that most of those cheap bikes were just dumped on the USA, and there is no way to really repair those little things, like ordering parts, now on the other hand, the American mini is part of a revolution, long hair, going places and doing things as a young person, socializing with your other friends that lived more than a couple of blocks away, as long as you didn't get caught by the cops, or run over by a nut that thinks he owns the road, that my northern friends is why you'll find a deffinate lack of interest, or a note of sarcasum when the subject of foreign bikes, particularly pocket rockets here, I hope I covered that subject good enuff for you to understand!!!!
dave

tomsprops

I bought a all original 1970 Taco 99 from a guy who was using it as a pit bike.Until he started using one of thoses chinese chopper thingys . I couldn't keep a straight face when he told me why he was selling his Taco . :doah:

haha there was a guy using a cheapo 50cc quad. he pushed it so hard it broke the gears in the tranny and he was stuck right in the middle of the track

wow i didnt know that many of you had a thing agaisnt this style of bike, and im sure that you all own american cars too, well im an aussie and i love aussie things but in my veiw this is a mini bike/mid bike and i just want to get it running so i can cause mischeiff around the hood and get chased by the cops and shit like that, im not to fussed who made it, and yes it is a pain in the ass to get it running once its been through a few hands, like the wiring, but im just going to bypass all the chinese crap and just use the frame and if i can get the motor running, ill use it, or i might source a clutched B&S motor and make it fit, but as this is my first mini bike its fun to play around with so should be fun:scooter:

Last edited:
sublime, don't get me wrong!!! I've been to the land down under, and loved it there, even though we were playing war games with your army, USMC,1973-1975, long time ago!!!! True I drive either a ford, chevy, or a chrysler, heck I live in the "HEARTLAND", now some call it the rust belt, it's not because we use salt on the roads in the winter either, it's because most of the manufactoring jobs moved to some 3rd world country where they work for peanuts, we had it made here in the early years, things like; good jobs, health insurance, pensions, paid vacations, stuff like that, then comes greed, the more money idea, "Well we could make more money if we make it somewhere else, and sell it in the USA!" Akron was one of the first to loose her main job markets, we lost the "RUBBER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD", standing starting in the late 60's, today most of the rubber factories are either; rusting with the rest of the other factories, knocked down, with a plaque telling what was there , like a grave marker, or was bought up and turned into something else, one thing good, the air quality is much better here now than it was back then, but with the loss of the jobs, everything else suffered, too.
dave

I have one of those chinese minis that came with those little 49cc engines, but the little clutch/gearbox that is attached to the engine got stripped out when i got it so i don't know how good it runs, but i looked over the whloe frame and i cant find ANY defects! the frame is nice, strong, reinforced steel, the tires are mint, the sprocket is hardend steel, and it is not made out of "bicycle parts" it is very good quality and dosen't have any potential of breaking. and all the moving parts have heavy steel ball bearings that i KNOW will hold up to any speed that i can make it go.

You can't blame the chinese for making these minis and sending them over here, because at least SOMEONE is still making minibikes!! how often do you see any of your "AMERICAN" made minibikes made NEW anymore?? you dont! the only cheap, readily available NEW minibikes you can purchase anymore aren't up to your "AMERICAN MADE" standards anyways! so you shouldn't be ripping on these chinese made minis, because at least SOMEONE is making new minibikes still!

Sublime, if yoyu remove all the wiring, it will be simpler to get it running. If you want to use the rope starter, the only wire you need is a wire from the coil to a kill switch. All the other crap is alarms, electric start, and lights. The coil is on the outside of the flywheel on the engines I've seen, just like a Briggs or Tecumseh. I wouldn't think adding a Briggs or Tecumseh to a Chinese bike would be any worse than putting a Chinese honda knock off engine on a vintage American frame. (Not mentioning any names), except Dave :001_tt2: :biggrin:

den35

Den35,
Your not from the good old USA, so I'm going to over look your last comment and take it easy on you, and any one else that thinks the chineese, version of the minibike is cool, They're good to look at, cause some of them are tricked out, but take one apart, they're made of bicycle parts, them little parts really are not made to go the speeds that, them bikes go for an extended period of time, add in a little poor maintenance, and you have a bike that's waiting to fall apart, usually while your flying down the road, road rash hurts and takes awhile to heal, added to the equasion, is the ever popular " Buy American" slogan, and the fact that most of those cheap bikes were just dumped on the USA, and there is no way to really repair those little things, like ordering parts, now on the other hand, the American mini is part of a revolution, long hair, going places and doing things as a young person, socializing with your other friends that lived more than a couple of blocks away, as long as you didn't get caught by the cops, or run over by a nut that thinks he owns the road, that my northern friends is why you'll find a deffinate lack of interest, or a note of sarcasum when the subject of foreign bikes, particularly pocket rockets here, I hope I covered that subject good enuff for you to understand!!!!
dave
I think you may have misunderstood my veiwpoint.I agree there is a high level of class that goes along with North American made bikes.No argument there.But I had said even a chinese bike could be a GOOD rider,not a COOL rider.

In my opinion,chinese bikes are good for beginner builders because parts are cheap,readily available and you and your wallet don't feel nearly as bad when you break something.

I also agree that pocket rockets are NOT minibikes.I even convinced my nieghbor(who has 6 pocket rockets) of this point.He's planning on picking up a Dirt Bug in the near future.

Simply put,I would rather hack and grind on a chinese bike until I develop the building skills to do up a good mini the right way,than just jump in not knowing what I'm doing,and possibly destroy a rare frame.

Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers here.Just my opinion.

yeah thanks JIMH i have ditched all the wiring now, its still on the bike, just not hooked up to power, tho would be nice to get it all working,,, but CBF, im using the original kill switch and just going to tap in to the coil wires, shouldnt be to hard to complete now, just trying to find a diagram somewhere so i get it right the first time, do you think if im not using the starter motor this will create drag on the engine, is it worth tapping the starter charge wire in to the coil circuit to reduce the drag will this work, or should i just cover it in petrol and light it, hahahahahaha, thanks