Found this on local craigslist. Southern Louisiana

markus

Then that makes it not "RARE" at all....and worth a lot less. So that is no more than a 500 buck bike on a very good day.
I dunno, I bet its harder to find THAT bike than it is a sportsman, yet it would be easier to correct since you just need a lighted big block and a seat made instead of trying to find a cont. red seal for it.

I do think his price is rather steep though, but $500 would be a very good day...for the buyer, I see about $900-1000 in parts value and an engine for the scrapyard :wink:

I dunno, I bet its harder to find THAT bike than it is a sportsman, yet it would be easier to correct since you just need a lighted big block and a seat made instead of trying to find a cont. red seal for it.

I do think his price is rather steep though, but $500 would be a very good day...for the buyer, I see about $900-1000 in parts value and an engine for the scrapyard :wink:
That last one a member posted didn't even get one bid at 600 (Sportsman mini w/ Continental). And that one that was on there for over two years fully restored with lighted BB ended up selling for around 600 (same model as above). Up here they do seem to be more common than down your way. I guess it goes back to the old rule of thumb...it is worth what someone will pay for it. :laugh:

I agree. I don't think I've seen another one of that model. I do know that he has been trying to sell that bike for over a year now. Very cool with the speedometer and the Astros.

That was a late built bike, 1970ish it would have had a Tec

Thanks Marcus, now I know that much more about the Simplex minibikes. Just wish I could get my buddy to sell me his Spitfire with Continental engine, it's in remarkably good original shape but I'll have to buy it at his estate sale if I outlive him.:doah:

A lot more common than you think. There was one of those on my local CL on Sunday for a whopping $75 bucks:drinkup:. I thought about it cause it had a nice Tav on it but I'm not a fan of the suspended Simplex bikes- kinda look like a Broncco to me. Naturally it sold fast.

james c

i located this deco engine to put in one of my sportsmans, basically its a continental red seal engine but sold under the deco grand name. i see two wires coming out from behind the flywheel so im hoping there might be a lighting coil in there.this has the rectangle block with eight head bolts. large valves, square port intake and exhaust, these blocks were called racing blocks. this one was used on a military generator and i believe is 12 ci.
somewhere around 5-7 old fashioned hp. engine weighs 46 lbs. the crank will need to be turned down to 3/4 and keyed, as its tapered and about 7/8"

markus

The advertised those engines in the mini bike guide mag but they didn't seem to catch on :shrug:

scanned this for you: