Fox Campus Color

Does anyone know the automotive color code which most closely matches the blue on a Fox Campus? I do not have a Campus, I wish I did, but I would like to paint my current project that color just because I like the color so much. It does resemble the "Marina Blue" which was available on mid-sixties Chevrolet's. I don't have a color chip to take to the autobody supply house to compare with the chip books they have.

Thanks

I figured he would probably know but I tried to increase my reference resources by using a general post
What do you say Bronc? Haven't seen you on here in quite some time. Fox actually used four shades of blue on their minibikes over the years. The earlier ones were a darker blue metallic and the later ones were a lighter; sort of a silver blue metallic. If you're talking mid 60's you're probably thinking of the silver blue. I have the info. for both the darker and the lighter blue. Because the two shades in between were only slight variations; I disregarded them and only searched the dark and the light. I have codes for both. I'll be going down to my workshop later today and I'll get that info. for you. Until later then. Ogy

Thanks Ogy, I have been busy for the last 5 years restoring a "basket case" 1959 Nash Metropolitan. I am now getting back to another K&S Hornet that has been in the shed. You know the bike I really want!

Bronc, Always loved the Nash Metros. Back in the 80's I was looking for a classic car just for cruising around town. My two choices were the Nash Metro and the 64 Lincoln Continental with the suicide doors. Looked at a bunch of each and settled on the Lincoln. Should have bought a Metro too and kept it in the trunk of the Lincoln. The Lincoln is gone now and let me know if you have heard this before: "I should have kept it". The paint info. you seek is in a separate post, it is. Ogy

Bronc, Here are a couple of pics of the Fox Campus paint colors along with the paint code information. The colors in the pictures are as accurate as I could get them but nothing beats seeing them in person. The first pic shows the two predominant blues used on the Fox Campus bikes. The red was used on their earlier ones. They all have a fine metal flake in the color coat and are all a two stage process consisting of a color coat and clearcoat. The metal flake doesn't show up in the pics but out in the sun they are spectacular. The second pic is just a closeup of the red on a spray out card. The last two pics are the code info. The Pelikanblau is the lighter blue and the Blue Mica is the darker one. Hopes this helps Bronc. Ogy

Ogy,
Thanks, that is exactly what I need. I am going to go with the Pelikanblau. I use PPG Shopline products now so getting it from my jobber won't be a problem. I have attached a before and after picture of the Met, it is a fun car. I happen to love those Lincoln's with the suicide doors, car has classic lines.

Last edited:
Awesome job on the Met Bronc. After that a minibike restoration should be a piece of cake. Thanks for sharing. Ogy
Ogy, I'd been waiting for the answer on this too, but for a kart. That darker metallic (Nissan BV4) is exactly what I envisioned a blue Fox kart should have on it. I'm going to see if I can get it in single stage however. :shrug:

Dave, You might want to play around with the primers a bit. I had 15 original Campus frames here and the shades of blue varied from one to the next. If you prefer a slightly lighter shade of blue I doubt that anyone is going to call you on it. I used a light gray SEM primer on my frames. However, if I hadn't had all of them already primed I would have experimented with a white or maybe a lightly blue tinted primer. When you say single stage do you mean like a urethane enamel and no clear? As you can probably tell painting is not my strong suit. I considered doing the painting myself but once I began reading about flash times, retarders, fisheyes, etc. I decided that that was more than I was willing to attempt. That's why I'm having mine done at a professional shop. It's a bit pricey but I'll make up for it by not having to redo the frames a couple of times because of runs, drips, and errors. Ogy

Dave, You might want to play around with the primers a bit. I had 15 original Campus frames here and the shades of blue varied from one to the next. If you prefer a slightly lighter shade of blue I doubt that anyone is going to call you on it. I used a light gray SEM primer on my frames. However, if I hadn't had all of them already primed I would have experimented with a white or maybe a lightly blue tinted primer. When you say single stage do you mean like a urethane enamel and no clear? As you can probably tell painting is not my strong suit. I considered doing the painting myself but once I began reading about flash times, retarders, fisheyes, etc. I decided that that was more than I was willing to attempt. That's why I'm having mine done at a professional shop. It's a bit pricey but I'll make up for it by not having to redo the frames a couple of times because of runs, drips, and errors. Ogy
Well Ogy, it sounds like you know quite a bit about the painting process. I was thinking of using a 2K primer in white. It's catalyzed, and hard. It works great as a base coat if a lighter shade is desired.

Yes single stage refers to a base coat with the urethane already blended as part of the total volume of the product. So it goes on clear and since it's catalyzed, sets pretty fast. It can also be shot heavy and wont run or sag like acrylic enamels will. But not all paint codes are available in both single stage options.

The reason I am shying away from two stage programs on the minis is because they are merely frames, not large flat panels, and man, clear urethane starts to add up.

I can tell you that painting urethane single stage with a cheap gun and compressor is way easier than doing it with a hardware store paint can. No finger cramps, more choices, better quality finish both in appearance and wear. The downside is that overspray is a larger issue. I learned that the hard way. (Clay bar city in my garage)

Mini bike frames are easy. I would never do a large panel without having my neighbor handy. He's a retired body shop owner. I'm a novice.