Fox guys....Help please...

Got this frame...pretty sure it's a Fox of some sort. The engine plate and original foot peg location is what is really puzzling me. Everything I'm finding has the engine plate that gets wider towards the front and footpegs at the front of the engine plate.. Any help would be appreciated !!

Last edited:
Scooterboy, That is one mystery bike you have there. With the exception of the motor mounting plate it has all the earmarks of a Fox. It's not a Sprite because the Sprite had a scrub brake and there are no bushings welded onto the lower tubes to accommodate a scrub brake lever. It's not a Doodlebug because they had front suspension. However, the Trail Bug had no front suspension and used an internal expanding brake. The second slot located just ahead of the rear axle slot on the left side of your frame indicates an internal expanding brake. Therefore, I'm betting on it being a Fox Trail Bug. Now about that motor plate. The Sprite, Doodlebug, and Trail Bug all had two downtubes running from the steering neck to the lower frame tubes. Actually, they were just an extension of the lower frame tubes that met at the steering neck. The Campus model was the only one with a single down tube. In addition, all of the Fox models used the pentagon shaped motor mount with the fold up footpegs attached to the front corners of that mount. It appears to me that the original motor plate and front portion of the lower frame of this bike were damaged. The lower tubes between the front of the motor plate and the neck were cut away and discarded along with the original motor mount. A new mounting plate was fabricated but instead of continuing the lower frame tubes up to the steering neck; they opted to truncate them at the front edge of the motor plate and go with a single downtube like on the Campus bikes. What leads me to conclude this is not an original downtube is that the radius of the bend at the front of the motor plate is way too large to be original. The Foxes with single downtubes all had a very sharp radius of curvature at that point. That's just my opinion. Ogy

I seem to be more confused as I go. (normal) I picked up a Fox this summer to add to my collection and thought it was a Trail Bug, then maybe a Sprite. It has a single downtube and no scrub brake, but someone over the yrs has added a weld-on jackshaft. The motor is an 8 HP Honda that runs great, but will replaced when I get to it so it will be more period correct.

I had found this and figured it was a Sprite, maybe before they used the pentagon motor plate.The lower side tubes along the motor plate do NOT appear to have been replaced or altered. I will take a few more pictures this weekend.

delray

nice thing about it scooterboy, i believe scott was making couple new engine mount plates. thats if you want it to look original again.....:thumbsup:

Can someone post a picture of the bottom side of one of these bikes? I don't plan to put much time in it, if any. I actually like the engine plate better than the "correct" Fox plate. I might use it for a Mcculloch powered hotrod... unless one of you guys wants it....:shrug:

Scooter, I was just looking over the larger pics you posted and I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't trim off the original edges something like this. Ogy

Scooter, I was just looking over the larger pics you posted and I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't trim off the original edges something like this. Ogy
Ok... I see it now. For some reason I had it in my mind that the bottom tubes were bent out slightly following the lines of the engine plate. It's a nice straight frame and fork , so it's sitting up on the shelf waiting for either me to feel like doing something with it, or for someone to tel me they want it.