FOX minibike??? what model, year, etc..

Please excuse my ignorance, but just acquired this bike that has been sitting in a barn for quite a long time and I'm not sure how to date it? It appears to be in pretty good shape considering it's age! I plan on re-furbing it and hanging on to it.
It has front and rear disc brakes and shocks. Which is pretty cool based on its size. It has a tec hs-40 motor on it, not sure of hp though?

Just need a little help on where to start getting this thing back to its former glory, any guidance or info is greatly appreciated.

buckeye

Holy smokes. That is a dandy!
Welcome to OldMiniBikes.

Can't wait to see this shined up. :thumbsup:

HS40 is 4 hp tecumseh. Should be some more numbers on the shroud. That will help you gets parts if needed.
I would get it running. Check all the nuts bolts screws ect...

Shine it up and leave it. It looks pretty much all original.
Should treat ya well.

markus

the numbers after the word serial onthe engine tag will give you the build year and date for the engine, that will put you in the ballpark for the bike itself. I always found the numbers on the serial tag of the bike I could never decipher, seemed kinda random to me.

I'll go out on a limb though and say that the first digit of the serial on the eningine will be a 9 or a 0 1969-70

Cool Trail Tramp BTW, got the optional front protective bar on top of the already heavily optioned model :thumbsup:

markus

The two bikes I have with the ID tags still intact are stamped "12 69"
Is either one a Trail tramp, or are they both street scamps? The TT I had only had the small fox serial number decal, same I belive with the the spoiler. Neither had that one on it, might have been a street legal MSO thing or just simply came off. but I would think the trail tramp would have been a street legal bike, unless the tires didn't meet standards or something :shrug:

Cool decal :thumbsup:

here was the 2 foxes I had, both '69 IIRC, the spoiler had the Offroad use only decal on the headtube

I have a later 60's Fox campus on the way, it appears to have been the fully loaded from factory with lighting/fake tank 4hp version, I'm curious if it will have something like that on it.

"Is either one a Trail tramp, or are they both street scamps? The TT I had only had the small fox serial number decal, same I believe with the spoiler."

Street Scamp and Trail Tramp...they are only 79 serial numbers apart.

I have the warranty card and original receipt confirming the numbers on the Trail Tramp. The Trail Tramp owners manual even has several pages on how to ride in traffic.

My other foxes only have the off road only stickers...

You guys are awesome. Thank you for all the info. I will look under the seat for stickers when i get home this evening. The serial number on the engine is 4 digits and does in fact start with a 9. So im assuming that would mean it is 69-70.

I am going to need to either repair or replace the fuel tank. It is rusted pretty bad where the cap screws on and the glass is missing in the head light.

I plan on trying to clean it up and keeping as many of the original parts as possible.

I will update more info and pics of progress as available.

Thanks for all your help!!:scooter:

:doah: Where is your lower unit on the outboard? I hope the Mississippi didn't get it. I lost one practicing for a BFL on that river.

Last edited:
:doah: Where is your lower unit on the outboard? I hope the Misspssippi didn't get it. I lost one practicing for a BFL on that river.
Ha! Funny you noticed! I am actually on my 4th lower in 4 years! I replaced the first with an SEI aftermarket one and it went out twice! Cheap Chinese crap!! I have a new factory lower on now and hope it lasts a while! I do fish Tha Ar. River a lot and it's tough on em too. How'd ya do on the bfl?