Frame building questions

So I am getting ready to build this drift trike that I have been collecting parts for & I don't want to use the BMX bottom frame tube. I want to build a frame tube that comes out perpendicular to the neck tube, sweeps down to the back and sweeps back up parallel to the ground that I can then tie my rear axle frame into. I don't have a tubing bender so I am asking, how do you all bend your tubing when building your own minibikes? I have thought of cutting the tubing (1 1/2" diameter) at 15 degree sections and welding them back together to "make" my bends but don't know how hard that will be to keep everything straight and how hard it will be to the neck tube straight as well.

If you look up a Huffy Slider that is the frame design I am wanting to have mine look similar to.

http://www.huffy.com/images/sliders/bike_Comp.jpg

Last edited:
When building my first frame I used HF 10t kink type bender there cheep as chips.
Mufler shops can also bend pipe.
Why not see who on OldMiniBikes is close by with a bender.

Would help in a heart beat if you were closer.
Good luck

rmm727

I had thought about building one of those out of exhaust tubing but didnt know if it would be strong enough. Also didnt know if the exhaust shops have thicker gauge exhaust pipe.

Drive shaft shops have different diameter tubing in different wall thicknesses like 1 1/2" diameter in 0.06 wall, 0.095 wall and 0.120 wall. I would be kind of worried using exhaust tubing.

Whats up Hemi!! Ive heard of people using two of the same size weight lifting iron rounded edge weights (non plastic coated) and heat and bend around that radius with good results! Heavier weights would give a slighter bend than light weights...........:thumbsup:

I have a 1 1/2" hydraulic bender.... Used it to make rollcages on racecars. It will easily bend 1/8" wall tube which would be plenty strong. Just need dimensions...