From Mini Bikes and go carts to the world of motorcycles.......

We all have our stories about how we got into Mini Bikes and where it went from there, so here is mine.:smile:
I am guessing that I was in about the 3rd grade when my brother and I pooled all our great fortunes (about $15) and bought our first mini bike. As I recall it was a Taco and the rear brake was a plate that rubbed against the rear tire ! My brother was a little more than a year older than I and we somehow kept that thing running :doah: and had unbridled FUN on it riding around the orchard next door and the adjacent field ! Things got even more exciting when they would plow them :thumbsup:. The field was just disc plowed so it was just rough and wild until we got a track beat down in it, but the orchard was plowed in long rows for irrigation so in one direction you went long ways through the ditches ........ fun until the front wheel caught the burm and threw you into the dirt :):) But going the other direction,across the ditches we had a series of "jumps" as it were . Well jumps for a mini bike anyways ;>):scooter:
Then we got go carts ! So the tracks in field and orchard got a bit more refined ;>p Pretty rough ride for a while, but in hindsight it was a good thing and kept us from getting to much traction and going to fast until we had the skills to be at least a little bit safe. LOL
We lived in Campbell Calif. a suburb of San Jose but I didn't realize at the time that the Bonanza was made right there or how cool and advanced it was for a mini bike.
More later,

From there we advanced to a Simplex and I remember thinking how BIG it was !! :laugh: I recall riding it on Loma Pretta (spelling?) mountain with my brother on a little ducatti and my Dad on something bigger and putting the Simplex in the ditch going to fast for the turn trying to keep up ! It sure was cool with the solo seat and actual running boards for your feet !
From there the stream of motorcycles blurs in my memory but all I can say is there were MANY and that was the beginnings of a life long obsession with motorcycles. In my early 30's I saw my first Harley Hummer 165 and had to have one, but it came with a second one that was about half there so that began the search for parts and that evolved into having to buy out old HD dealers inventories to restore that 2nd bike. This started an oddessy that would span almost 3 decades and at one time I had the largest private collection of Harley Hummer parts in the country ! I found the defunct Hummer club and revived it and started trading parts with others and it turned into a home business that was the best investment I could have made. About 90 % of the fellows wanting parts or bikes had one of 3 stories: 1. "Thats what I learned to ride on", 2 "That was my first motorcycle." ,
and 3. "I always wanted one but all I had was a damned Cushman" ! So what butter business could one have than one helping guys like you and I relive their childhood !

buckeye

Great story.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
You have any photos? Or, more importantly, do you have a mini bike now?