Garage sale find

I have a buddy that I had mentioned to, several years ago, that I was looking for a tiller. This was before I got the Gilson Tiller and rebuilt that. I know it has been several years because I have used the Gilson tiller the last two planting seasons. Anyway, he calls me yesterday and says I need to meet him. He has something for me. And here it is...

Troy -Built Horse:

With a Kohler cast iron 7HP engine:

For the grand price of:

With the factory maintenance and overhaul manual.

Turns over with comression, everything seems to work, but carb sputters, so going to clean it up and ..... I don't know.

Do I rebuild this tiller, and then sell the Gilson, or do I just get this one cleaned up and turn it around to the next dirt farmer?

Last edited:
Bikebudy, tempting, but no.

Engine runs great on starting fluid.... Pressure washed and much cleaner now.

Has one flat and cracked tire, the other is starting to show cracks. Thinking about X-Tracs. Throttle cable is stuck and missing one of the two drive belts. That's about all I see wrong with it so far.

One thing I really like about the Troy Built is the tines do not turn if the tiller is not moving. On the Gilson, they turn all the time.

Going to pull the carb and clean it out. Might have to clean out the tank strainer. Someone had changed the petcock in the past.

Another project. :doah:

Get her sorted out, make a couple of passes in the garden and see if you like the Troy Built better................If not, send it off to it's next home, killer deal BTW!..........................Tom.

I bought the Gilson because after looking around, it looked like the shortest smallest rear tine tiller I could find. Too many years of a bouncing front tine tiller to ever want to do that again.

My garden is not big, but I till it several times in the off season getting air, fertilizers, and manure into it. My cucumbers are growing so fast I have to cut the new ones off every day or else they end up a foot long.

The first year I planted here, I used a Troy Built Horse that I borrowed from a friend. My one use of the Horse showed me how easy tilling can be with a real purpose built machine. It would go full depth on hard soil with ease. He sold it, and that is when I bought the Gilson. Now that I have the Horse, and a fully rebuilt Gilson, the decision becomes hard.

I told the same friend that sold his Horse that I got one, and he mentioned he may want to use it. He knows I have the Gilson tiller, but never asked to use it. Subtle hint?

Odds are I will keep the Horse and sell the Gilson, but what about the hotrodded Briggs 5hp with ARC rod in it?

Last edited: