Gasoline question

I use regular pump gas...I was using "rec fuel" but it seemed like some of my toys ran hot...the CT70 did not like it for sure. I use sea foam if it sits for any amount of time. I "try" to drain everything that i don't use much. I did switch fuel lines ...I'm sure I'm doing it wrong but it seems to work.

nightgrider

I use just regular 87 pump gas in everything. I use sta-bil in anything that is going to sit for about 4-6 months. I also either drain or run the carb dry. If it is going to sit indefinitely I try to get all the gas out of the tank. Never had an issue.

Last edited:

Davis

There are a lot of negatives to ethanol gas, that you seem to overlook. These are my observations no necessarily fact.
1) tygon fuel lines get hard and brittle in a year or two with ethanol with non ethanol have not had to replace a line in 5 years. .
2) while gas only will go bad and smell like varnish it takes about 2 years to happen while ethanol a year old turns our carbs full of the green crap.
3) for some reason ethanol gas mixed with a good two stroke oil will last years.
4) fuel tank epoxy coatings/sealer like dragon blood will soften and fail with ethanol if left in the tank over a winter.
Take note from the master boys.

ELT

There are a lot of negatives to ethanol gas, that you seem to overlook. These are my observations no necessarily fact.
1) tygon fuel lines get hard and brittle in a year or two with ethanol with non ethanol have not had to replace a line in 5 years. .
2) while gas only will go bad and smell like varnish it takes about 2 years to happen while ethanol a year old turns our carbs full of the green crap.
3) for some reason ethanol gas mixed with a good two stroke oil will last years.
4) fuel tank epoxy coatings/sealer like dragon blood will soften and fail with ethanol if left in the tank over a winter.
I can tell that fuel lines I used on my snowmobiles in 1980 long before ethanol was ever around got just
Are you stating (or at least implying) that Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer is a "snake oil"?
Michael
What my point was is that all additives are not created equal. There are lots of people and companies out there that are more than happy to sell you a product to cure a problem you may or maynot have.

ELT

The fuel lines I used in 1980 on my snowmobiles before ethanol was around got just as hard from one year to the next just like happens today.

I can tell that fuel lines I used on my snowmobiles in 1980 long before ethanol was ever around got just
What my point was is that all additives are not created equal. There are lots of people and companies out there that are more than happy to sell you a product to cure a problem you may or maynot have.
You did not answer my question.
Michael

I have only seen 3 additives mentioned in this thread. All were stated as being used by some pretty experienced members.
Sta-Bil, Sea foam and Startron.

Who can say these are snake oil?
I stated what I use, and what has worked for me for many years.

Like I said after 60 some years minds are hard to change….
when my dad died I threw away 4 bottles of stabil his sworn go to as long as I can remember…never like it personally…had issues one time…me as stated have used startron since I learned of its existence….will I try to talk you out if stabil..nope don’t care what you use…I like what I like….as a wise man once told me it’s all unicorn farts and fairy dust….

Sorry guys, didn't mean to start anything but my minibike!

I will try to see where I can get recreation / non-ethanol gas.

Environmental factors being what they are, it makes sense that people have other opinions.

Like I said after 60 some years minds are hard to change….
when my dad died I threw away 4 bottles of stabil his sworn go to as long as I can remember…never like it personally…had issues one time…me as stated have used startron since I learned of its existence….will I try to talk you out if stabil..nope don’t care what you use…I like what I like….as a wise man once told me it’s all unicorn farts and fairy dust….
Taryl Fixes All did a comprehensive series on Snake Oil additives.

nightgrider

Draining the fuel out of the carb bowl is the easiest and best way. But sta-bil is relatively cheap so I throw it in. I've also had a push mower that i do nothing to and the gas leaks out of the carb. Fires up every year with relatively little fiddling. Like @Skipp said each to their own. Eventually every carb needs rebuilt.