Gatormoto, what is that?

I've been looking through craigslist now for 8-10 months, ebay too, for a kart
or something interesting in a mini bike without much luck. Then a couple of days ago
I ran into this. Of course, I've no way to transport it so I rent a U-Haul van and off I go...

This guy lives out in the sticks and he has three garage/barn buildings in back of his house,
which sits on multi-acreage. Each building is stuffed full of shit. Old cars are parked between
the buildings, 15-20 of 'em. Damn near everything looks salvageable, some of it looks almost new.

"Short story", He said. "had other offers," (I can see he's in no hurry to sell) "$500 cash/firm.
Took it on a trade and it's worth more than that." He just wants his money out of it so,
I hand him the wad and we load the van. Also, came with the entire red panel set
(nose was on it, side pods and drivers panel as extras)

I just wish I knew more about what I bought....yes, I goggled Gatormoto
There is a plate behind the seat, I'll take some close-ups and post em here tomarrow.
I need some help here...What kind of frame is this, who makes it, year?

GoKart Build - YouTube
>LIKE< >COMMENT<

Last edited:

rmm727

The fuel lines on the intake are the vacuum pulse for the fuel pump. Not sure what was so nasty about the Lifan clone. They are a "good" clone engine brand. The homemade Mikuni intake was a little ugly and long.

Thanks for your comments rmm727

The fuel lines on the intake are the vacuum pulse for the fuel pump.
The homemade Mikuni intake was a little ugly and long.
There were more than that, 1 "homemade" intake vacuum(blk), 1 carb feed and 1 draw from the tank.
There's a second one to/from the homemade intake(clr) connected to the "primer" button under the
steering wheel and another coming to/from the carb attached to nothing. also, primer button to the tank.
I just don't understand how someone could do this to an engine...:crying:
You're the second person liking Lifan and I'm still trying to put my full support behind Harbor Freight's Predator 212.

Here's the Google on Lifan:
Lifan Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifan_Group‎
Lifan Group, or Lifan Industry (Group) Company, (SSE: 601777)
is a privately owned Chinese motorcycle and automobile manufacturer. Automobile manufacture ...

and nobody likes Chinese clones, nooo body...
come on, give it to me, it IS a nasty lookin engine.

Last edited:

rmm727

No one likes Chinese clones. Come on. There's a whole section on here and Bob's 4cycle for them. The Predator is a Chinese engine. The Harbor Freight blue engines were Lifans.

The hose from the primer to the intake is for the primer to squirt fuel into the engine. Primer to tank is how the primer gets its fuel. The carb to nothing hose is a vent.

No one likes Chinese clones. Come on. There's a whole section on here and Bob's 4cycle for them. The Predator is a Chinese engine. The Harbor Freight blue engines were Lifans.

The hose from the primer to the intake is for the primer to squirt fuel into the engine. Primer to tank is how the primer gets its fuel. The carb to nothing hose is a vent.
I like Predators, I have one but I get beat down every time I say so. ex: "buy a Honda, B&S, etc.. American"
a vent, hadn't thought of that. People really use primers like that??? I thought you'd just take the filter off and spray. The primer idea seemed kind lame to me, not to mention UGLY... I had 3-4 lines coming from the tank (area). So, I guess we know why he used a "homemade" intake manifold, (looks like a vacuum cleaner wand/part). I heard Mikuni's are hard to tune but OMG !!!
lmao...

rmm727

I like Predators, I have one but I get beat down every time I say so. ex: "buy a Honda, B&S, etc.. American"
a vent, hadn't thought of that. People really use primers like that??? I thought you'd just take the filter off and spray. The primer idea seemed kind lame to me, not to mention UGLY... I had 3-4 lines coming from the tank (area). So, I guess we know why he used a "homemade" intake manifold, (looks like a vacuum cleaner wand/part). I heard Mikuni's are hard to tune but OMG !!!
lmao...
Snowmobiles use a similar type of primer. I understand the buy American and Honda and Briggs make a really nice engine but who can afford one for a toy these days. The Honda equivalent is 3-4 times the cost. The Predators are a good engine and to get the warranty for $20 more - you can't beat it. The Lifans are good clones but since they don't make the HF motors anymore, its not like you're gonna go buy one of them either since they're about $150 versus the $60 you used to be able to get one from at HF. They also make pitbike engines.

Clearly, you think I'd be foolish not to keep it. I'd put a ruxing carb on it cause I don't have a desire to understand Mikuni, and I'd go back to the black stock intake insulator. But, I don't know what's inside? rod, piston, bore, cam, push rods, valves, head, springs, rockers. I've barely got my first (predator 212) build under my belt, and am loosing my patients with this "do it again" learning project.
So, I'm leaning toward a brand new B&S Animal and I'm also in no hurry to work on this kart. The engine will come but many, many things will come first and it could take a couple years to complete, Well. lets say complete a usable kart. It's never really complete..

The question is what kind of frame is this and who makes it, year?
(I heard a rumor that it's Chinese)

Thanks again for your comments :thumbsup:

lookin good. including the clone. alot of kart racing classes have switched to running clones thats probrobly why its on there . good engine despite how it looks