GBI and Starret Micrometer

First the bad news- My son missed the cutoff score on the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Exam by 1 point. I was not happy! As smart as he is, I figured he would be in the top 1 or 2%. He tests well but said this test was "strange" and not what he expected. He knows what he's up against next time and should come close to maxxing it out. Now the good news- He and I were in a pawn shop, out of town, killing time. I found a used 0-1 Starret micrometer in with some tools. There was no price on it so I inquired about it. An employee told me $15.00. If I had been through looking, I would have just about knocked her down with the money:laugh:. When I did get in line to pay, another employee noticed I had "1" item in my hand. He asked "Is that all you have?" He also asked if I had been in the 82ND Airborne, since I had on one of my 82ND Airborne caps. He told me he was at Fort Bragg for a while, attached to a Special Forces unit b/4 going to Afganistan. He thanked me for my service, then told me since I only had that one item he was going to have to let me "walk out with it". I questioned him about it, since I like to "pay my own way". But then again, I'm not STUPID-- OK, go ahead and hit me with all the insults, slanders, and "yes you are stupid" remarks, because I know some of you want to. Anyway, I didn't want to question too much, because I had me a free Starret Micrometer. I'll have to visit him again soon and maybe make him a nice pair of earrings to give his wife. I took the mic home, cleaned it up a little and it's in nice shape. I've got to get a standard and set it, since it's off just a hair. "Good deals" are few and far between in my life, so I was elated. Now if someone would GIVE me a good engine to go on my Harley project :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Tim.

buckeye

Wow, at least the pawn shop employee appreciates your service. Too bad our federal gov't doesn't.
Thanks for serving bro!!!

i can relate to your son i failed one sub test by one point although my total score was high enough to qualify because of the sub test score it disqualified me for the pennsylvania state trooper acadamy . i got another job a short time later and never took the test again, that was 25 years ago and also a big mistake. tell him to take it again ,tell him i said good luck

Tests can make you want to scream sometimes knowing what to study for what they want to say is important. I once took a test for a Boiler license and one question I did not get right was. On a pocket measuring tape why is the end of the tape loose I was perplexed and when told that it was loose to compensate for inside to outside measurements. I told him that I always pounded them tight. What did that make any difference to me for servicing boilers I wasn't building them.
So back to the study and get it done. It will pay off.
Steve :scooter: