Getting a Baja Warrior up to 50?

joekd

I have a 420 chain on my that I bought at a motocross shop, seems to be way stronger then the plain chain that I found at tractor supply

toomanytoys

I have a 420 chain on my that I bought at a motocross shop, seems to be way stronger then the plain chain that I found at tractor supply
I run 420 chain from a local honda dealer on my super broncs. Never had an issue and only adjusted the chain once in probably 30-40 hours of riding it.

I fixed the front brake problem - I just needed to crank everything down till it bent the backing plate and then keep going. I even added a battery, a key-switch, and a horn. Now I have a new problem though.

The chain keeps stretching. I put at least a 100 miles on this back with the 6hp engine, and now with the 14hp I have to tighten the chain a half-inch after every mile. I know I've already stretched the chain at least 5 inches, so I'm going to replace it with something higher quality when I do my sprocket-swap.

After too much research I decided on EK's SR heavy duty, which has a tensile rating of 7000+ Should be more than enough.

Edit: Did the math. I should only need 2000 lb/ft or so... buying the EK420SR anyways.

Last edited:
I just put on a predator 6.5 and a TAV2 setup and using the GPS speedo on my phone I hit 46MPH. I didn't do anything to the engine. Now I believe it is time to add my front brake setup.

Today I swapped in a new 36tooth sprocket

Bad news: Burned up my clutch (not really a surprise... any suggestions?)

Good news: Once it hooks up it's awesome. I met my goals, breaking through the 55mph limit, making it faster than my friends scooter. And it still has good acceleration once you get the clutch to catch, slightly slightly faster than a ninja 250 between 30mph and 50mph.

So will a TAV survive a 6.5? I wouldn't mind doing 50+....
My TC didn't have any problems with my 200cc / 6hp clone - I did probably 50 miles on it and the belt was still in practically new condition. I was getting 41mph, but it was an old, abused engine. I'm sure you'd get a bit more without it. Maybe not 50, but pretty close.

Last edited:
that sucks. i got mine up to 50(GPS) (i weigh 210)with a TAV 30 and 50t sprocket and GX390. my engine is wide, heavy, (the whole bike is heavy), had to fab a new motor plate, but it runs great.
I was afraid my TAV wouldn't be able to handle that much power. As far as the budget, the overrun was almost all incremental improvements after getting the motor in, and costs I ran into trying to get it ready to pass a motorcycle inspection.

I can never quite understand why anyone would want to go that fast, traveling on a machine that is notorious for it's low cost engineering and construction.

Dude, get a real motorcycle/dirt bike/quad that was designed for those speeds -- you won't be disappointed.

:shrug:

I can never quite understand why anyone would want to go that fast, traveling on a machine that is notorious for it's low cost engineering and construction.

Dude, get a real motorcycle/dirt bike/quad that was designed for those speeds -- you won't be disappointed.

:shrug:
Really? You're coming close to having to surrender your man card.

After some thought, and a couple Coronas, it dawned on me some of the wonders Man has chosen to slap a big gas engine on and ride it. Some of the most note worthy are bar stools, coolers, recliners, toilets, tool chests.

Last edited: