Gramps mini bike build

wb4rt

deejaaa,
Thanks for the ideas. I think after riding a little last night, the height is actually pretty good. I thought the width of the seat would be a problem and uncomfortable, but I believe it will be ok.

I'll let you know after riding some more.

BTW- no brake cables anywhere to be found local. I have ordered a longer one from OldMiniBikes Warehouse, but may need to rig up some fishing line and finger loop. Or maybe a scrub brake for a couple of days. Never thought that would be a problem to find.

Any ideas on a brake cable? Tried the bicycle shop, several motorcycle shops, Kmart, Walmart, and an Industrial Supply place. I would buy a bike brake lever and cable for a temp fix, but could not find that either.

wb4rt

I know this must be simple and I'm overlooking, but I can't seem to get the brake lever/cable to pull the brake arm. I have the threaded connector in place, the 3" spring, the cable through the swivel and tightened down. But when I pull the lever, it just pulls the cable sheath and not the cable.

Please help with pictures of the way everything should be connected. I think the problem is at the brake lever. Does the sheath have threaded connector there? Or something?

Thanks!

wb4rt

Hi, Creia.
Yes, the Azusa drum brake. I know what my problem is now. The brake lever needs a ferrule or something that screws into it so the cable sheath is anchored. I apparently didn't get one, so the sheath was pulling into the lever and the actual cable was not pulling the arm. I put a #10 nut between the sheath and the lever and that works, just not the right way.

:shrug:

So, should there have been a threaded connector, like on the actual brake, for the cable to fit? I think it should be part number 2371 Brake Adjuster.

Is that something I could find locally at a bike shop?

Last edited:
Nice design and fabrication. This project happened so quick I missed most of it but sounds like you had a good time doing it and lots of supporting member contributions along the way. You will find a lot of talent and knowledge on this forum. Welcome to the site and I look forward to seeing your other projects!:thumbsup:

wb4rt

Thanks, Firemarshall.

This has been a fun project, brought back a lot of memories from when I was a kid. I guess that's why all of us enjoy these little bikes.

And yes, this site has been a wealth of knowledge and support. I started with just an idea and some scrap metal less than a month ago. I could not find the basic details to really get started, but little by little I was able to put it together. I made some modifications during the build, and probably would do things a little different if I do another build.

Boy is it fun to ride!! No springs, no suspension, just fun. Now that I have the brakes working (mostly), I hope to ride a lot this week-end. My grown sons, their wives, and grandsons are going to be surprised when they see it. Should be a lot of fun.

Thanks to all.

toomanytoys

This has been a fun project, brought back a lot of memories from when I was a kid. I guess that's why all of us enjoy these little bikes.
I think that pretty much sums it up for 99% of us on the forum. I try to introduce the little bikes to kids now. Everyone wants a "real" dirt bike. But the old school mini is a blast.

I used to take my super bronc out with guys on 4 wheelers. I could go anywhere they went and a lot of times quicker because I'd be running off the trail through the trees where they couldn't fit.

People would ask me what it was. A fat tired mini bike :laugh: 1970s vintage! :shrug:

wb4rt

You know, I'm kind of surprised no one commented on my front axle tabs or my oil drain pipe or chain guard. Also the engine adjusters and back foot peg brackets drew no comments. I just made them up as I went, so I thought it might spark some interest, good or bad.

Oh well. Azusa is sending me the brake adjuster so I will wait for it to arrive before I change out the short brake cable to the new longer one I ordered from OldMiniBikes Warehouse. I don't think these brakes are going to do a whole lot, but going downhill yesterday I wished I had something!!! Yikes . . .

:innocent::facepalm:

Here's another question - it's been a long time since I rode one of these. Is it normal for the clutch to kind of "pop" as you are coasting along at a steady speed? I think it is just disengaging and re-engaging. Not a real hard "pop", just a little rough. ?

Last edited:
You know, I'm kind of surprised no one commented on my front axle tabs or my oil drain pipe or chain guard. Also the engine adjusters and back foot peg brackets drew no comments. I just made them up as I went, so I thought it might spark some interest, good or bad.
Its coz we were all stunned by the speed at which you built:thumbsup::laugh::laugh:

What speed were you doing when the clutch popped? I was free wheeling downhill the other day and opened the throttle, the clutch engaged and nearly threw me over the bars:laugh:

You could awlays fit a band brake to the clutch, have one lever left side and one right side of the bars - could help

i had to go back and look at your details.
can you take some more, better focused, pics? i didn't even notice the detail on the chain guard, nice. also like the oil ext tube, will look to see if i can do the same. but, i am confused about the front axle tabs. more info/pics and better detail?
build looks great. i have no experience with a centrif clutch, just the TAV.

Ratbike

Very Nice Work!!!!:thumbsup: Most of my scratch builds are square tubing. And they say it can't be done and be cool!!! LOL!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
In my experience the ideas keep coming for the next build. Again,very nice work. Whats the next one???:laugh::laugh: Only thing better than one mini is TWO.:thumbsup::laugh::laugh::laugh:

wb4rt

Well, my new minibike had a big workout today! And it did wonderfully. Thirteen different people rode it and/or drove it. They all had a blast!

My wife enjoyed it a lot more than she had expected.

Thanks to everyone here that helped, gave advice, or especially encouragement.

Now, I need to add some foot pegs for the front for my grandson. And . . .

wb4rt

Here are a few pictures. I'll post a few more when I get them from my family.

1. Sherrie and me
2. Sherrie and our daughter-in-law's mother
3. Son and grandson
4. Me