gx 160 cam in a clone?

so I know you can put a 6.5 cam in a 5.5 engine now, but can you go the other way can you put the smaller cam into a larger engine and still not affect the way it operates or decrease the horsepower rpm

so I know you can put a 6.5 cam in a 5.5 engine now, but can you go the other way can you put the smaller cam into a larger engine and still not affect the way it operates or decrease the horsepower rpm
The difference is in the lifters...you will notice they are not the same in length, so you have to keep the lifters that came with the engine and just swap the cams...yes you can swap them back and forth.If you research this,your questions will be answered.

okay so I did some searching on the site and none of the threads answer my question .could you please clarify on the lifters comment that you made . basically I want to take a honda gx 160 camshaft and put it into a greyhound 6.5 clone. if someone could please specifically and detailed as possible tell me exactly what else I will have to change in order to accomplish this . ie, lifters valves pushrods any of that stuff details are important please . thank you very much

rmm727

A gx160 or 5.5hp clone block is shorter than its 6.5 hp brother (because the stroke is less). So they used shorter lifters. Cams are interchangeable. Some will use the 160 lifters in a 200 if they milled the head or decked the block alot as an alternative to using shorter pushrods to keep valvetrain geometry correct.

okay so I did some searching on the site and none of the threads answer my question .could you please clarify on the lifters comment that you made . basically I want to take a honda gx 160 camshaft and put it into a greyhound 6.5 clone. if someone could please specifically and detailed as possible tell me exactly what else I will have to change in order to accomplish this . ie, lifters valves pushrods any of that stuff details are important please . thank you very much
Keep the original cam. The 160 would hurt power.

If you want to try it, take off the side cover and pop in the 160 cam lining up the dots. Reinstall side cover and fill with oil. Reset valve lash under rocker cover. Done.

You do not need different lifters or pushrods. The shorter lifters are due to a shorter block/deck height. If you put 160 lifters in a 200 or vice versa without modifying the deck or head you will mess up your valve geometry.

You should measure the one you are replacing against the GX160 cam to be sure that your not weakening the motor.

My gut feeling is using the GX160 cam is a mistake.