H60 internal coil

Here I am trying to get spark from this H60 before I torque the flywheel on. It will be a pain to change it after, so....

New points/condenser from OldMiniBikes.
Timing set as per Tecumseh manual(with the head off, .080" before TDC)
Points gap .020"

I set the flywheel on the crank with key and hand spun it with no spark. Hmm.

Rechecked gap. Rechecked timing. Respun. No spark.

Cleaned points with dollar bill. Respun. No spark.

Flywheel magnets pass screwdriver test.

Took coil off armature and measured resistances.
Primary - 1 ohm.
Secondary - 5.03k ohm.

Want to make sure before spending $50 for a coil...

One other thing, this motor did fire on starting fluid with this coil before I tore it down for rebuild.... Did I mess it up in the cleaning stage? Maybe got water in it rinsing it off?

Last edited:
:confused: sounds like a good possibility.. If you washed it in water it could have gotten water down inside the coil.. You can try taking the coil back off and make sure ya have good clean contacts between the mag and block.. Make sure none of your little wires are cracked or pinched or rubbed off and grounding out.. all the ends are clean and that stud and washers and nuts and everything is all clean.. so you know ya have good continuity through everything hat should have...

If ALL ELSE fails, maybe try throwing your old condenser on it.. who knows when ya mighta just been the lucky millionth guy that gets the defective Chinese repop.. :laugh:

If you were pouring water all over the coil it may be soaked.. Sitting it over the register for a few days might fix it.. :shrug:

Is a coil 50 bucks? :confused: DAMN...

Yeah, this coil costs that much. That does include shipping...

I have it in front of a portable heater now to try to dry it out.

I have been thinking of putting the old points and condenser back on... They worked...

I think I'd hope for a good dryout... :laugh:

OldMiniBikes has em for 18 bucks... :shrug: Tecumseh 30560A & 30546 Ignition Coil
Thanks!!

I will retest it tomorrow after a day in front of the heater. If this doesn't fix it, I will buy one.

I put heat shrink on all the wires around there just to make sure there was no unintended grounding going on.

I wish there was a better way to test the coil than a tester that noone has anymore...

Success! Spark!

After the dryout, the coil tested the same, so decided to put it back on and recheck everything thoroughly this time.

Found two problems. One, the spark plug boot and clip pulled right off the wire. Think I have another clip somewhere...

Two, the points. The chinese repop points had a change in the spring that allowed it to contact the plate screw. Dunno if it was bad quality control, but the coil was constantly grounded. Didn't notice it when I put em in. I put the original points back in, but with the new condenser, slid on the flywheel and the first time past TDC, SNAP! Kept spinning it just to watch the bright spark.

Still have to fix the spark plug boot, but happy! :smile:

Two, the points. The chinese repop points had a change in the spring that allowed it to contact the plate screw. Dunno if it was bad quality control, but the coil was constantly grounded. Didn't notice it when I put em in. I put the original points back in, but with the new condenser, slid on the flywheel and the first time past TDC, SNAP! Kept spinning it just to watch the bright spark.
The last three sets of points for H and HS series engines has been the same way. Way too much spring tension in them to get them to close at any adjustment.

It sucks to have to take brand new points, (NOS supposedly) and weaken them by bending!

Or heating.. :shrug: yeah.. chinese everything is junk.. THEY CAN NOT make a spring to save their ass..

Thats why I use old used junkyard shit.. There's GOTTA be a set of points laying around, every motor has one.. And they last quite a while actually.. How many sets does an engine even GO THROUGH in it's life.. If you keep them cleaned up, and gapped rite, you'll burn the engine up before ya go through 2 sets of points.. :shrug:

You can grind them down a long way.. as long as theres contact tab at all, and they'll close up.. fck it, rum em.. :shrug:

You really gonna put so many miles on this minibike you're gonna burn those points out? :shrug: I know I've put 10's of THOUSANDS of miles on minibikes, and never burnt a set out of existence.. :shrug: I have completely ruined several motors though.. :laugh: