hard starting...choke help

well i've got my throttle working pretty good now....but....i'm having starting issues....i have to start it up at first with the choke on...which is fine....but when i start to ride a bit and remove the choke the i'm having starting problems....i can get it started but i have to play with the choke and pull 5 times to get it started

if the governor is removed you need to crack the throttle open a little bit when starting it without the choke. once it's warmed up it should start without having to use the choke. be careful when doing this because the bike can take off on you if you aren't careful (has happened to me several times).

tomsprops

Look in the engine section there's a post called " Hard starting clones ". It will show you how to drill out the starting circut jet . I bought the drill bit at HF for about $4. My motor also has a air filter and pipe so I rejeted it as well as changed the emulsion tube. All of which I got from AFG. It starts very EZ now !
I've gotten used to starting my bike with the front wheel against a curb ,wall or anything to prevent a unexspected Launch !
PS make sure you reinstall the bar mounted Kill switch ! In case of afore mentioned Launch ! :eek:ut:

Yeah, if you look at how a stock governed 6.5 works, you will see that the throttle is wide open when the engine is running, and when it starts the governor immediately closes when it starts. So, if you've removed the governor, it's just a matter of holding it wide open, or cracked, or somewhere in between when you pull it. Be careful though, if you aren't careful, it will fly away from you... so start it with the back tire in the air, or let go of the throttle as soon as it starts. It's just one of those things you gotta get used to when dealing with a carburetor. Kind of like an old car... every one's a bit different, even though they appear the same.