HELP..........I need camp grill advise

We are looking for a good camp grill / griddle / stove and want to know what others use.

I'd like a small to medium sized grill / griddle area with one stove burner on the side.

I keep seeing this "Camp Chef Rainier" and "texsport" and "coleman" setups.

Does anyone have any experience with these or sometihng similar ?

Something like this is what we'd like but they are difficult to find in-store and have mixed reviews.

The motorhome has a stove/oven but she likes to cook outside on a grill.

MiniBike Paul

Paul Jr. ( American Chopper) did a re design on the Coleman that Hent talked about above. I wondered if they were worth a damn???

Well, at Windber, Hent & Vicki very graciously let us eat with them and I cooked a bunch of big Rib Eye Steaks on theirs one lunch and was totally impressed and will for sure end up buying one!

With burn bans and drought nationwide a good propane or fuel stove is mandatory for a successful trip anywhere. A versatile one like the Coleman is a good choice, the perfect flow is cheaper than the one pictured but has no dedicated burner. Coleman isn't the exact same Coleman company we grew up with but still makes a decent product. Not a ton of choices anyway really when you look. It's that or go bigger with a full size tank and grill with fold out legs for portability.

Get old school and by a Coleman 4M.

Burn Gasoline works in any weather and last a lifetime......

....so a guy jumps out of an airplane....pulls the ripcord and nothing happens.....as he's hurtling towards the ground he looks down and he sees a guy coming up towards him......:confused:

He yells to the guy "Hey...do you know anything about parachutes...?!!"

The guy yells back "No...do you know anything about Coleman stoves ...?!!"

....so a guy jumps out of an airplane....pulls the ripcord and nothing happens.....as he's hurtling towards the ground he looks down and he sees a guy coming up towards him......:confused:

He yells to the guy "Hey...do you know anything about parachutes...?!!"

The guy yells back "No...do you know anything about Coleman stoves ...?!!"
NO... do you Know anything about profane stoves lol

The camping gear we grew up with is still out there because it was well made.
One of te best stoves ever made.
This is a 1958 modle 500.
Tea time - YouTube
You can't tell how white my hands are in this lol.
A profane stove will not even work at these temperature lol.
I think the closest version to this in the USA was the 412 or 425.
Minor differences in stamping and the Canadian version held on in a cast iron birner and mixing chamer for a bit longer.
I like the iron myself I feel the cook nicer.....
1962 4M - YouTube

AS far as a grill goes your on your own.
I sugest you get the thickest plate within reason and weld something up to fit the stove.
More mass means more even heat.

Wirth mention if you are a tree hugger.

I like trees and I have built a few of these myself.
They do work very well considering.
The important thing is the right wood.
It must be snall sticks about the size of your little finger and the fire burns top down.
You catualy can get a fantatic cook off the stiggs underfoot.....

Typical of Youtube though everyone that makes and shows these off is a douche and does not know what he is doing or is cheating with some thin bizzar to burn like rice husks.
I dunno do you find a lot of rice husks where you camp?
Not so common up here.

But the important thing is you can scale up the "upsidedopwn draft" gasification stove and actualy grill on these without charcoal when they are set up.
And they won;t soot up your pans or set the bush on fire....

For everything else though there is gasoline and profane....

Biomass Gasifier Stove - YouTube

We bought a tinny camp grill with one burner and she wanted a griddle for it so I hope she's happy.

Its like the one in the photo I posted but a different name although I'm sure they are all made in the exact same chinese factory.

I looked at those road trip ones, they are nice but went with a table top since we'll have our table set up.

Only things that burn liquid fuel are mad in the USA.

Thats another consideration......

Never know what you can find on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unusual-Prin...752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc7597a48
Thats a very good price for an expensive VIntage Swede cook stove.
Kerosene so its cheap and safer than profane or gasoline.

This although ugly and made by evil Chinese people is probably not a bad deal.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Super-Gas-St...769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f101f69a9

Last edited:
I may end up buying something else later on but for now we just needed something better than those one-time-use charcoal grills.

We'll see how this thing works and go from there.

The road trip grill is kind of pricey, but after going through 2-3 cheaper grills, we finally decided to buy that one. Several years later and a bunch of grilled food, it still works great. :thumbsup:

The old standard Coleman works pretty great.. I'd go with modern enough to be propane because the old white gas ones wear out after 90 years of use and needs seals and stuff, plus who wants to piss with white gas???

If she insists on having a griddle, just pack one to throw on the burner? :shrug:

Profane gas and electricity......

Thats for suckers lol!!!
Date of manufacture:
Feb 1948
Coleman Canada, Toronto plant.
table lamp # 157 for gasoline.

Last edited: