Help with a predator

Hello, I just picked up a predator 212 from harbor freight. I installed it and added gas and oil and got excited and took it for a test run full out without breaking it in. I got home and let it idle for an hour, then went to ride it again. Whenever it reaches top RPM the engine "pulses" (idk how to describe it, it just kinda lurches) then I took it home and smelled burning oil. Can someone please help?

Thanks!!

Well when riding on flat asphalt, when you get to the top of the rpm range it will almost feel like the Kart is putting on the brakes. The governor has a natural kind of pulse to it in a way and going downhill can amplify the effect. If it's a brand new predator I would say it's just the governor by the clues you've given. And about the oil smell, sometimes my centrifugal clutch when first tested smells a little funky.

I know what you mean by putting on the brakes and it's nothing like that. It's dropping rpm's then going back up and down again. And the clutch isn't new

Thanks

noseoil

I would look at the oil & change it just as a precaution. Is the break-in oil full of metal? A little is normal, but bigger pieces are not. Did you add about a half quart to break it in? Did you put anything in the oil to "help" it?

If you ran it flat-out at first, how long did it pull like that? A minute or two or a long time (20-30 minutes) under full load? It does sound like you're describing the governor kicking in, but was it not doing that the first time it ran at full speed? Almost sounds like rod clearance (too tight from the factory maybe).

Hello, I just picked up a predator 212 from harbor freight. I installed it and added gas and oil and got excited and took it for a test run full out without breaking it in. I got home and let it idle for an hour, then went to ride it again. Whenever it reaches top RPM the engine "pulses" (idk how to describe it, it just kinda lurches) then I took it home and smelled burning oil. Can someone please help?

Thanks!!
Carb needs to be adjusted. Read the plug.

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I agree with richinreno on it being lean. I am super now at this stuff and only have about an hour on my mini but I noticed it stopped surging when it hit the governor when I opened up my jet. I did this pretty much right after break in though so have very little experience with this.

So a question to the more experienced builders in here. Could be verify this by slightly closing his choke to richen up the mixture and see if the surging goes away?