Help with Briggs 3.5 wandering idle....

Hey Guys:

Switched out a engine on my manco streaker and did a 3.5 briggs. Got everything hooked up and the motor is surging and I cannot seem to get the rear wheel to stop moving as the only adjustable setting on this particular motor is the idle setting screw, which is what I need to adjust. Problem is, they say to let it run and then push back the throttle stop and then adjust the screw. I do that and sure enough the result is great, then I let go and the idle goes up and the rear wheel starts turning and it is wandering again. What am I missing? I am attempting to go clockwise with the screw as well as counterclockwise. It does go down, but then when I release the throttle setting...... it goes right back to surging. Help?

thanks buckeye, but even if I do not see the governor stressing or even moving it is too tight? Just loosen my cablke a bit is what you suggest?
Thank you.

buckeye

To me, it sounds like something I did and learned from it.

Yes, give a bit of slack to the throttle cable.

It could be the linkage is jacked up a bit too. But, I would try the easy thing first.

Take a pic and post it.:thumbsup:

jim210

Does it still have the little spring on top of the throttle shaft going to the small bracket on top of the carb by the mounting bolts? That spring is for a governed idle and nedds to be removed for your application

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I reset the governor by adjusting the screw at the top while running the bike and with one hand pushing the throttle peice at the top of the carb all the way in and the other on the screwdriver setting the idel counterclockwise, and then loosened the throttle cable like buckeye indicated which was a problem. She is done and running well.:laugh: