Help with Doodlebug Remote Gas Tank

Dubs

First ... I'm sorry if I've missed a thread(s) about this topic already. I searched, and while several have commented on remote tanks, they've generally done so on threads originally posted for another reason/question.

OK ... so I bought a remote 2.5L tank meant for a bicycle; it arrived today.

As others have done here, I bought it from Spooky Tooth: 2.5 L Black Gas Tank For Motorized Bicycles

Questions I have are:

1. It didn't come with a nipple to attach a fuel line to - anyone have any suggestions?

2. The 212 predator engine has two lines... one at the bottom, Fuel, and one at the top ... guessing air to pressure the tank? I have no idea and I'm a complete noob, so forgive me for asking ignorant questions. My remote tank only has a fuel outlet ... can I just ignore that second line that goes into the top of the stock tank?

3. For those of you that have installed remote tanks - anything else I should be cautious of?

Thanks in advance!

dubs

Hello Dubs!

#1, though I am not familiar with that little tank, I would look for a threaded bung on the bottom. It may be BSP pipe thread, or it may be straight metric thread for a screw-in filter/fuel line fitting. Similar to what is on the Predator fuel tank. There has to be a way of some kind to get the fuel out if the tank. :wink:

#2, the line from the top of the Predator fuel tank is a vent line. It is used to prevent vacuum building up in the tank as the fuel is used, as well as to vent off vapors when hot. That line just runs into the air box, not directly into the carburetor. You are fine without it.

#3, I can't help you there. My Doodle is still running the stock tank on the 212 Predator.

Good Luck!

Seth K. Pyle

T-Town Mini

Look at the different fittings for your tank here: Mini Bike & Go Kart Fuel Accessories | Fuel Line | Fuel Filters | Shut off Valves | Petcocks | Hose Clamps

If you were to contact the place you bought the tank from they would know what thread it is but, it's likely standardized and the parts OldMiniBikes has will fit. Just call and ask.

The carb has a fuel shut off valve but, you'll want to be able to shut off the gas at the tank too in case you need to service the engine or carb at some point without draining the gas. A petcock threaded into the tank would be a good choice.

A fuel filter is also a good idea...some petcock/shut off valves have a filter screen but an inline filter still works.

Make sure your fuel line connections are secure and that they don't leak...that's the only real concern I can think of.

The tank I'm using now has a 90° outlet to an inline fuel shut-off valve to an inline fuel filter to the carb. That's a lot of connections but, it works for me so...just do whatever works for your application.

I'm quite surprised that it didn't come with a petcock. I'm into motorized bicycles, and I'm familiar with a lot of the vendors. Most of the more reputable vendors include a petcock with the tank. I would have emailed that vendor and asked if it was supposed to come with one. I hope it came with a gas cap? Anyway, good luck with it. @flstf2, I'm not sure what the dimensions of the tank are, but I do know it's a 2.5 liter tank, which is about 2/3 of a gallon. They make tanks all the way up to a gallon for motorized bicycles. You can also use any tank that will fit on your top bar of your frame. I'm using an old tank that a friend of mine gave to me, it's plastic and it's see-through orange, I've no idea what it came off of but it's a 1 gallon tank. Just look around for anything you can use for a decent price.

I mounted mine by cutting the two front studs off and welding a bolt to the center of the tank and then adding a strap to the DB frame for the now single centered stud to bolt to. I then took the staples out of the stock seat and cut it down and stretched the original vinyl over and hot glued and stapled it fast. As far as the outlet goes I took a standard petcock NPT tap and ran it right into the bung then used a brass outlet with good sealer, it never leaked. I eventually got a better seat but ended up selling the bike because I was made a great offer, I miss that wheelie machine.

Outlaw - Just read your post this morning, ironic because I had some garage time last night and did EXACTLY what you just described! My old seat was pretty tore up as it was, so I had little hesitation in trimming it back (6 inches from the front). As for the tank, I got the two front bolts cut off and drilled two holes in the cross brace that was use prior by the stock seat. The tank fits great and looks great!

Now I just need to wait for the petcock to arrive (and I agree that its lame that it didn't come with one).

I was going to remove the predator stock tank last night as well, but once I got into I realized I would have a heck of a time getting it hooked back up if for some reason the petcock I ordered didn't work. So, I left it, and will wait until I have all the components needed to complete the remote tank install. After all, I still want to ride it in the interim!

I owe you guys some pictures. I'll try to remember this evening. I've got 3 young kids, so my garage time is scarce!

Outlaw - Just read your post this morning, ironic because I had some garage time last night and did EXACTLY what you just described! My old seat was pretty tore up as it was, so I had little hesitation in trimming it back (6 inches from the front). As for the tank, I got the two front bolts cut off and drilled two holes in the cross brace that was use prior by the stock seat. The tank fits great and looks great!

Now I just need to wait for the petcock to arrive (and I agree that its lame that it didn't come with one).

I was going to remove the predator stock tank last night as well, but once I got into I realized I would have a heck of a time getting it hooked back up if for some reason the petcock I ordered didn't work. So, I left it, and will wait until I have all the components needed to complete the remote tank install. After all, I still want to ride it in the interim!

I owe you guys some pictures. I'll try to remember this evening. I've got 3 young kids, so my garage time is scarce!
The one those tanks come with will not flow enough fuel to feed much of an engine so not getting one isn't a huge problem.

For anyone else who decides to walks down this path, I attached some pictures of the tank ... and all its glory.

You'll note that I cut off the two front mounting bolts and welded a new bolt stud right in the middle. The original front bolt studs hit the frame. The new bolt stud in the middle will allow me to add a cross brace to or under the frame for a snug fit.

I found this thread while searching for answers for what fuel valve to use on my bicycle gas tank that I ordered from Kings Motorbikes.
I have cut the front two studs off and have the tank mounted just fine, but I'm struggling with finding a fuel line fitting. I know Kings sells one, but now I just read that it may not flow enough fuel for a Predator motor...?
And after looking at the photos from Dubs, My tank is different. I have a male pipe thread stub sticking down from the tank. Not a female bung fitting.
At first I thought I could simply go to the hardware store and buy a brass barb fitting to thread on the tank fitting, but nooooo, that's not going to work. Its metric.
I need help.
I'm a little hesitant to order anything else from Kings Motorbikes. I ordered the tank and was charged $15.11 for shipping. I assumed for that amount of money it would be delivered in an armored truck. Well, it wasn't. It was in a little crappy box with one single layer of bubble wrap, the tank mounting studs were poking out the side of the box and the tank had a couple huge scuffs on it that would not rub out. after several e-mails back and forth with "customer Service", (10 days of holding up my project) they are doing nothing for me, other than offering to replace the tank if I pay to return ship it. I'm sure the replacement tank will ship in the same crappy box and will be all scuffed up.
I checked on ordering the matching gas valve for my tank, and they want another $15.00 to ship a $7.00 part. Very frustrating.

I need to find another option.

Gadget Man