Help with Lil Indian Brakes

Hi

I am hoping somebody can help here. Attached below is a pic of the brake set up that was on the bike when I bought it. The sprocket (besides that it has been painted) it out of round resulting in a situation where the brake rubs, but more annoying is that it tightens and loosens the chain as it rotates. It is not bent, but either came this way from the factory or somehow worn uneven or combination of the two. I have been looking for a replacement, but cant seem to find one with the correct bolt pattern.
regardless, I do not believe this is the original setup for this bike, based on the age of the frame, I think it should have used the spot disc caliper setup.
If I am right, is the caliper sold at allied leisure the correct unit?
Where do I find the correct sprocket to align with the bolt pattern for the rims?
How long do the bolt stand offs need to be and is there a vendor that sells them precut (5/16 bolt)

Sorry for the questions, but I would like to get this thing running true and be historically accurate in the processs

Thanks ! IMG_0986.JPG

Thanks for the replies. I will replace this old stuff with the correct disc set up

Does anyone know what the correct sprocket would be to line up with bolt pattern for the 6 inch rims that I have off OldMiniBikes warehouse or elsewhere. I'd prefer to go 72 tooth if it will work with the disc set up.
Does anyone know where to get the spacers / stand offs for the bolts to line all this up and how long they should be ?

Thanks !!!

markus

If you have the original 4 spoke mags, the spacers and bolts listed in the Lil indian parts listings are as follows-bolts: 3/8"-24pitch 3 1/2" long, Spacers are 2 1/8" (3/8 id) You can only use a 60 tooth sprocket with the disc brake. The typical calipers sold anymore have different bolt spacing then what was on the Lil indian, so you have to hunt for a used one usually (that includes the one that allied sells). There is someone that makes an aftermarket caliper, it does not look accurate though and last time I saw one listed on ebay you could buy a a real one cheaper, so its not really worth it unless you have exhausted all other options. Speedway used those brake calipers, as well as Boa Ski/Bozo

The OldMiniBikes sprockets that were for the Lil indian bolt pattern would throw the chain about 3/4 the way around, for whatever reason they were still listed on ebay so be leary of that. Oldschoolminibike.com has the most accurate ones to the earlier bikes, only 4 holes in the sprocket, raw/zinc finish, correct hole size in the center to seat a bearing like the original setup was, they sell themin 5/16 or 3/8 bolt holes, you need the 3/8"

dunno if any of these will help just stuff I had loaded up of of some of my old Lil indians to give an idea of fitment. The 4" and 6" stuff interchange, The 6" wheel did some standard with a bearing in the sprocket and a bushing in the inside wheel half and a more stout brake cable (with a clevis end instead of the bolt with a hole drilled in it to secure the cable)

Thank you for the information. I would have bought the caliper from allied or ebay only to find it wouldn't fit. Now I know I need to search for one which can be half the fun.

The sprocket spacers are 2 and 2/16 long. Allied sells them: 17214323/8" x -- x 2 3/16" (LIL Indian Mag Sprocket Spacers)

I am still having trouble keeping the brake caliper out of the tire. Original tire, original bolts, correct spacers, original caliper. Clearance is a fraction of a frogs tail, with occasional tire rubbing. I can see evidence of rubbing in the yellow bike @markus posted. Is this a common problem?

How far out of the mount holes should the caliper bushings be? A relevant question three years after this thread, hopefully.

I never moved forward with this project. I kept this Azusa style sprocket in my original post and threw a clutch brake on the bike. This is my favorite bike and daily rider. One day when I get lucky and find the original brake caliper I will work on restoring as it should be.
In the past two years I have seen two century series bikes on offer up listed for 50$ in my local market, one with the clutch cover too and gone in 60 seconds
One day I will be lucky and find what I need to restore this but refuse to pay the 200+ for the rare original brake on eBay that shows up time to time

(shrug) I was just using an existing post to ask what I thought was a simple question after searching the forum for answers. I posted the current Allied part numbers of the stand offs, because no one else offers a spacer in that size, and I do not have a lathe to make my own.

I suppose I could have started my own thread, like most folks do. Just figured my question was relevant. It remains unanswered.

Dave , I did a little measuring today with my calipers , the best I could being my bike is still together . Sprocket side spacer is about 1.520 (left side) non sprocket side (right side ) spacer is about 1.340 . Hope this helps Dave , If you need me to pull the rear wheel to get better measurements , I will .

markus

there was no rubbing issues on that bike with any tire it had on it. pics taken with the flash on, that's shadowing you are seeing.

Thanks for the replies. Eric, no need to remove your rear wheel! Thanks for measuring. Here is what I got. Distance between tire and caliper is just shy of .5". I have moved the wheel all over with different spacers, but the gap for the brake is dictated by the 3/8 X 2 3/16 spacers. This clearance issue is with both the original spacers and the new ones. Here is what I got, and there is less than 1/16 clearance between brake and tire Brake1.JPG Brake2.JPG Brake3.JPG Brake4.JPG Brake5.JPG :

There were no washers or shims on the wheel. Are there supposed to be washers or shims on either end of the spacers? All I need is a hair's diameter to get some more clearance. And maybe someone could tell me what length the mounting spacers are spoda be? These stick out. Doesn't change measurements, but is there a rule of thumb or something on the amount "sticking out" proud from the brake mount? Thanks again.