Help with my drag bike

I am planning on racing my bike at my local:helpsmilie::helpsmilie: 1/8 mile drag track. I have a Hillard inferno fury clutch. I want to know if it would be worth it to spend the money to buy a descent torque converter??? I need a lot of torque and a lot of speed. Any ideas?

That is a very general description...if you want a real answer..try putting real details. For instance...what bike?...what motor? Gearing? Tire size? Weight? etc etc?
We are good..but not mind readers.

It is a nitro 44 frame. 12 inch rear wheel base. Modded predator 212 with a .625 bored carb, mod 2 cheater cam, 18lb valve springs, billet fly wheel, billet connecting rob, and a fuel pump. Running gassoline. I don't know exactly how much it weighs but I'm guessing around 100 to 125lbs being that I can pick it up my self. There is a 55 tooth axle sprocket and a 19 tooth drive sprocket on the clutch. Cheezy1

Ok...If you wanna go with a Jr. Drag belt drive..that is a good way to go. But that is a lot of dough. The standard belt drives you see like the Comet TAVs are more for off road and up and down hills and such. The next best thing is to go with a disc clutch. They range from 180-500. The gearing set up you have now is way to much for the 1/8th mile. That is more for a 1/2 mile set up.

Start watching for a salsbury 330 or a comet 340 TC. You can find the driven unit pretty easy but the drive pulley is a bit harder. They work good for drag racing but you will probably need a bigger rear sprocket. Is your rear tire 12" in diameter or is the rim 12". Also the TC's I mentioned do not have a mounting plate like a tav so you would need to make a jackshaft arraingement for the driven unit.

trinik7597

disc clutch like cheezy said :thumbsup: not to say a torque converter is not good but from what i have seen a good disc clutch is better . have any pics ? we like pictures :laugh:

My rear tire is 12 inches. Anybody know what a good disc clutch is for the price? I don't want to spend any more than $200. Is the bully clutch a disk clutch?

Last edited:
like minibikin said the downs brothers clutch got real bad reviews by people trying to use them on modded motors . and yes the bully clutch is probably the best and most used disc clutch on the market . but with a 200 dollar budget you are looking more along the lines of a cheetah clutch unless you can find a smoking deal on a used bully or to-mar :thumbsup: