Herters Drive Belt?

I'm in need of the part number for the drive belt for a Herters Mini Bike. I don't have a model name but here is a pic. I also need to know what model torque converter it originally came with.

Resized_20170319_192026.jpg

What belt you need depends on what series TAV you have, how big the driven is and how far apart the driver and driven centers are from each other.
I'm gonna guess it came with a cat99 driver and driven.

Do yourself a favor and buy and fit a new 30 series driver and driven (Chinese is fine), measure the center distance and look at this chart to find your belt ... ALWAYS buy Genuine Comet Belts .. NOT Chinese.

cometbelt30s.jpg

It's a Salsbury t/c.. I have one of these, I'll go check and see if there is a number on the belt for ya.. Give me an hour or so..
It's a Salsbury 330 series, and the belt on mine is a Napa 25-08700. here are some pics.. I agree with Sixpac on the 30 series update.. the only thing I would be concerned about is there is little to no room on the jackshaft to go to a wider driven.. these are 5/8...

IMG_1951.JPG IMG_1953.JPG IMG_1954.JPG IMG_1955.JPG

Last edited:
Salsbury 330 series .....

I did not know that! I thought Salsbury was a design name ... DOH!

But having played with a few old TAV sets I've found they don't function as well as a new set. For me they tend to be grabby and make the bikes wheelie prone among other things.

Wow, the things you learn with one question!
Hopefully a "Comet" system will fit in place of the Salsbury driven clutch.

Thanks for the help.

Welcome... Please let me know if you try it how it works out... I may just do it to mine.....
BTW...looks like someone added some "extra" suspension to that thing?

Welcome... Please let me know if you try it how it works out... I may just do it to mine.....
BTW...looks like someone added some "extra" suspension to that thing?
I know...4 shocks in the back and 4 in the front. It should be able to lug a couple deer out of the woods. It actually looks like it came that way.

Wow, on closer look it does have 4 in the back...its really possible they made it that way..from what I know of they would cater to requests as the mini bike and snowmobile operations were small..that may be worth looking in to...

Salsbury 330 torque converters were used on a number of bikes plus just about every junior dragster. Still lots of parts out there. They were bought out by Comet, who continued making only the 330. I have always felt that Salsbury was the top of the line, clearly better than Comet, but more expensive. Mostly used on high end machines due to cost. Salsbury invented the torque converter in the late 30s. I would not switch to a Comet.

Salsbury 330 torque converters were used on a number of bikes plus just about every junior dragster. Still lots of parts out there. They were bought out by Comet, who continued making only the 330. I have always felt that Salsbury was the top of the line, clearly better than Comet, but more expensive. Mostly used on high end machines due to cost. Salsbury invented the torque converter in the late 30s. I would not switch to a Comet.

I just got my Herters running today and took it for a burn.. I have to say that this Salsbury 330 is great.. Very smooth operation compared to my new 30 series setup on my Bronc and no issues at all for as old as it is. I think Dick is right here.. I'll keep this setup!