Hey guys, I really need help finding this engine, or the 5hp version preferably. I need it for my MTD trail flite, I want to keep it original.

Yes you can but finding a lighting coil and flywheel for an early HS40 is a little difficult and pricy. But they do come up for sale. If you can live with the more square shroud there are more options out there. I’m no expert, But I just went through this. I ended up finding a 1970 lighting coil engine. It wasnt cheap and didn’t run either. But I really wanted the correct engine with the curved shroud. The good news on snow blower engines is the internals are usually in good shape.
Hey there, I found a lighting coil for an hs50 and am seeing quite a few good engines around to convert. My only question is, will a hs40 lighted flywheel work with hs50 magneto and stator? I want to run an hs40 flywheel so I can run a rounded cover.

I am no expert, but it is my understanding that square covers came out with electronic coils. These engines did not have points and the coil was mounted outside the flywheel, on the side or the cylinder. I assume you could use the curved shroud with a point type system. There is a thread about that here somewhere. I'll try to find it for you.

I am no expert, but it is my understanding that square covers came out with electronic coils. These engines did not have points and the coil was mounted outside the flywheel, on the side or the cylinder. I assume you could use the curved shroud with a point type system. There is a thread about that here somewhere. I'll try to find it for you.
Thank you, so I can just put points and condenser on an electronic ignition engine with no issues? I think I'm going to buy the coil in the image below but wasn't sure if it would work with the engine or an HS40 flywheel.

Attachments