HH160 on super bronc thoughts!!

I know it's ultimately up to me but I wanted to get the forums opinion. I recently got a super bronc all original less the engine. I wanted to go all original with it but I have an HH160 sitting around just waiting to be used. Has anyone ever tried this before will it even fit I haven't tried to mock up yet. Yaya or nays guys. Popping wheelies, twisting frames!!!! Would you go all original or put the HH160 on it ? It is a period correct engine but I know they never put something that big on the broncs.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I think that exceeds the torque converter. I think you'd have to upgrade that. Someone may know better than me.

Doc

My VT-10 (10 HP Tec) pulls the front wheel and points it skyward from an idle easily ... it also climbs anything I put in front of it from a standstill and I'm about 280lbs.

It doesn't need that much motor to do those things any better.

But it would just be fun!
However the guys are right ... TAV replacement may be needed.
As far as brakes go the early Healds had the the drivetrain all on the "drivers side", no jackshaft per se.

You said "all original" .. if it has the driver and driven it would be cost effective to just get a 10 hp or similar motor.

If balls to the wall is your style and you have the money, time and talent then the HH160 would be a nice eye catcher.

Post a pic of what your working with ... were a simple bunch, we like pictures .....

Here's a pic of my Heald after pulling my genny up a hill in my back yard .. I couldn't do it by hand!

See, aren't things better with pictures!!

I don't think the jackshaft and engine will fit together on that mount. That's why I was curious about the brakes. Have you tried setting them up there together yet?

I don't think the jackshaft and engine will fit together on that mount. That's why I was curious about the brakes. Have you tried setting them up there together yet?
My VT is a later model .. VT-1040 ... It has a jackshaft and a hydraulic disc brake on the shaft.

Pictures available upon request!

The best running Super Bronc I have owned had a clone 6.5hp. It had the smoothest acceleration. More than enough power. I sold it to Leon at Windber and it had plenty of power and speed to carry him pulling a trailer up and down the Windber parade hills. It also had the rear factory disc brake set up which was nice. Wasn't clunky and jerky like the TAV of jackshaft brake set ups. And if the chain broke you still had brakes.

Last edited: