High priced Harley at Florida vintage car dealer—

Back in my early motocross days lates 60s compared to Maicos,Bultacos, CZs, Husky’s etc…those Harley dirt bikes were cringey.
My friend raced a Bultaco Persang 360 in the ‘70s. That thing was Incredible. I rode it a couple times and when I hit third it would leave me sitting on the trail. He had about 75+ pounds on me and would belly the tank to keep the front wheel nearer the ground. I stuck to the 4 strokes. Going with him to Unadilla for the mud and snow races was a blast !!!

River Rat Ron

Yeah when they came on the pipe you’d better be ready. I sold my last bike a 79 RM 250 to a guy and warned him that it would pull the front tire in any gear. His first ride after I was paid he flipped it over backwards fender, seat, bent the bars…he face planted at about 30 mph….he was like son of a bitch…that’s why I never let anyone ride it.
I still dream about riding dirt. I toy with getting another but I know better. Hell I’m so old I have a hang over after sex now…
Don’t laugh I’m alone….:D

Last edited:
Two strokes are dangerous for the unknowing. I’ve seen guys get messed up after not listening and thinking they know everything. One guy test road a 250r water cooled 3 wheeler. Grabbed a little to much throttle between 2 trees and pretty much shattered his hip/leg. Not a scratch on the Honda. A RM 250 did the same thing to another guy. There fun if you respect them but if not……

It’s the only AMF Harley still running…:D </sarcasm>
I had friends that worked at HD during the bad old AMF days. One of them worked the tool room. The boys on the assembly line were constantly complaining about the lack of quality control. The word from above was put 'em together and let the dealerships deal with the problems.
Sad.

Edit: For what it's worth, I've got friends that have worked at Boeing that have the same issues with quality control.

Last edited:
Not a week ago a guy had a brand new Harley at a quik trip . Shiny black and he’s standing there looking at. Fellow walks up to him to talk about it and the guy tells him I just bought it yada yada but it won’t start and the dealer is coming to get it. 20k and he made it about 20 miles.

Hmmm... well, Id say Tesla cars, but lets not get in an argument about it.
I think it’s admirable of you to stand up for an American company and I wish I could stand shoulder to shoulder with you but it’s been my experience that the really reliable Harleys have been the ones were a guy like you tore it down to the frame, rebuilt the engine and threw a boatload of aftermarket parts at it, tore out the wiring harness and built one from scratch, rerouted them and protected them in certain spots and reassembled everything with care. I’m also sure there’s exceptions but most seem to be in a love/hate relationship with their HOG. Maybe I’ve been a little harsh because of all of the horror stories I know from guys that can’t turn a wrench. Bottom line to me is that they could and should be better.

I think it’s admirable of you to stand up for an American company and I wish I could stand shoulder to shoulder with you but it’s been my experience that the really reliable Harleys have been the ones were a guy like you tore it down to the frame, rebuilt the engine and threw a boatload of aftermarket parts at it, tore out the wiring harness and built one from scratch, rerouted them and protected them in certain spots and reassembled everything with care. I’m also sure there’s exceptions but most seem to be in a love/hate relationship with their HOG. Maybe I’ve been a little harsh because of all of the horror stories I know from guys that can’t turn a wrench. Bottom line to me is that they could and should be better.
It also had a lot to do with local pride. Back in the day, no one I knew would be caught dead drinking Clydsdale Piss. Our motto: Flush twice. It's a long way to St Louis.
But you are 100% correct. I had friend I used to score weed and cross tops from named Mike. ( I did a lot of stupid shit as a kid.) Mike was your
prototypical barrel-chested 60s/70s biker dude. He lived in a ground level apartment and the bedroom had a sliding door he'd ride his hog in every winter. I'd show up and find him working on his bike, oftentimes wearing nothing but his Fruit-of-the-Looms. "No reason to get my clothes dirty" It would be in a thousand pieces scattered across the the place. Even if it was just to replace seals and gaskets so he didn't leave Lake Michigan sized puddles of oil everywhere he went. It was the nature of the beast and you learned to deal with it or give up.
Like a lot of things, those days are long gone.