hodaka gear ratio question

james c

8 tooth to the engine and 14 tooth to the rear wheel, 41 chain to the engine and 35 chain to the rear wheel. depending on your bike

Like James Told You......

The Hodaka's are VERY low geared.. The gear box itself is low geared.. 5th gear, 8,500 rpms =10 rpms at the sprocket.. :laugh: The sprocket on the engine is literally larger than the sprocket it's driving, in attempt to keep from having a top speed of 30.. They were intended for motorcycles with big huge wheels and a not very large sprocket..

And the motorcycle goes like 45 winding it's guts out... Ya know?

george3

Like James Told You......

The Hodaka's are VERY low geared.. The gear box itself is low geared.. 5th gear, 8,500 rpms =10 rpms at the sprocket.. :laugh: The sprocket on the engine is literally larger than the sprocket it's driving, in attempt to keep from having a top speed of 30.. They were intended for motorcycles with big huge wheels and a not very large sprocket..

And the motorcycle goes like 45 winding it's guts out... Ya know?
HA HA HA, I did that many years ago. mounted my 80cc engine on a mini bike it went like 10mph, 1st and 2nd worthless 3rd and 4th only useable gears. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Godfather.....

You have to remember something here..... The Hodaka crashbox is set up (geared) for big tires that Hodaka put on thier motor cycles. Not little 6" wheels with a 13-14" tire. With this being said you have to factor the tire diameter in the gear ratio to make it all come out correct in the final gear ratio.I've gone with a 3.00 gearing on my bike, a 15 tooth off the engine.On the jackshaft I've gone with two 15 tooth gears (it makes no difference in the gearing of the jack shaft, you can use any size gear you want as long as they are the same) and rear sprocket of 45 teeth. This will make for a nice riding bike with a top speed in the 60MPH range. I hope this helps you out :thumbsup:

BC1500 DAVE :thumbsup:

I am a little confused with the jack shaft sprockets needing to be the same size? The jackshaft gives the ability of numerous final drive ratios. The jackshaft is more than a chain alignment fixture.

Nothing to be counfused about here Truckster :thumbsup:

I'll explain.... My J.S. gears are the same size (15 tooth) for one reason.... it gives a nice radius to the chain (not to small or to big) for that matter you could use two ten's or two eighteen tooth sprockets on the J.S. That's your choice :thumbsup: I'm using the J.S. for just one reason..... Too transfer the Hodaka's left side transmission to the right side drive of the Bonanza's that came with a J.S...... It has nothing to do with chain alingment or gear ratios.... Heck ....If it were me..... I would blow off the J.S. all together and put a nice chain tensioner on the bike and call it good. A lot less friction due to less moving parts = More H.P. to the rear wheel :thumbsup:

But the J.S. was on the bike and I will use it just for the "looks of it" because everyone is used to seeing it that way :doah: Don't get me wrong here Truckster.... You are a 100% correct in your post :thumbsup: about a J.S. giving different gear ratios. This would come into play for me if I was using a TEC/B.S. on my bike.... But I'm not :doah: My gear ratio's change with my left foot.... 1 up - 4 down. After I get the bike running I might go with a 14 tooth off the engine and get into a ratio of 2.80 something depending on the power band of the engine. I won't know Truckster until I give it some gas!

BC1500 DAVE :thumbsup:

Last edited:
1500Dave, you might want to rethink your gear ratio just base of the factory gear ratio that were put onto the stock bc1500. The stock gear is (14 t motor to 9t js) to ( 18t js to 60t sprocket). Calc (9/14) *(60/18)= (.64)* (3.33) = (2.13) final Stock gearing. With your gearing at 3 to 1 and more power with the super rat motor i think it will be gear bound. My factory bike will bring up the tire in second and it is bone stock. Also, you commeted if you didnt like the gear ratio you would drop a tooth on the engine from a 15 to 14 and give you a 2.8 ratio. Well that would make it worse and bring you down to 3.214 final gear ratio. Well you can use any gear ratio you want i was just stating what the factory ratio was and how to find it. Good luck :thumbsup:

george3

1500Dave, you might want to rethink your gear ratio just base of the factory gear ratio that were put onto the stock bc1500. The stock gear is (14 t motor to 9t js) to ( 18t js to 60t sprocket). Calc (9/14) *(60/18)= (.64)* (3.33) = (2.13) final Stock gearing. With your gearing at 3 to 1 and more power with the super rat motor i think it will be gear bound. My factory bike will bring up the tire in second and it is bone stock. Also, you commeted if you didnt like the gear ratio you would drop a tooth on the engine from a 15 to 14 and give you a 2.8 ratio. Well that would make it worse and bring you down to 3.214 final gear ratio. Well you can use any gear ratio you want i was just stating what the factory ratio was and how to find it. Good luck :thumbsup:
you are wasting your effort with out a pic. of the bike. there were a few models of the Hodaka Bonanza. Not all the same.

hodaka

I tried a 14t on the engine and 9 on the jackshaft, 15 on jackshaft to a 60 a the rear tire. Tops out at about 35mph gonna try a 18 I have lying around that should make it a lot better.

Think of it like a mountain bike. With the chain on the large crank sprocket and on the small wheel sprocket it pedals hard but the rear wheel makes more revolutions per crank revolutions. You want to use the jack shaft to increase the effective size of the drive sprocket. You should have a 40 chain from the engine to the jack shaft and a 35 chain from the jack shaft to the wheel sprocket (unless it is a MX1510) so what you really need is to have the engine side jack shaft sprocket fairly small diameter and larger diameter driving the rear wheel. This will effectively increase the size of the driving sprocket in relation to the rear sprocket and wheel size and give you more rear wheel revolutions per transmission output revolutions. You are going in the right direction.