homemade kick starter

Hey, I just picked up another shroud, cleaned it, used a wire wheel on it, and primered it so I can make my layout marks on it and I can see them. I also didn't want to mess up my period correct original shroud on my 1963 4HP B&S.
Also this kick starter will be mountable and un-mountable. Just bolt it on and unbolt it if you want to put the original pull starter back on. Although I can't imagine why I would want to go back to broken ropes as long as this kicker works like it should.

Keep on puttin' :scooter:

i got sick of broken ropes and knew it would be a never ending battle on one of my tecumsehs so i put in a steel cable with regular cable stops on the ends. so far so good :laugh:

i think mine had a flat head screw or i might have replaced the bolt with the screw to get it to fit. you can even use a set screw instead of the bolt if you had to

hear are all the parts that make a hagar kik start:thumbsup:
yes this a complete repair kit nos. but am holding on to this . i got 2 hagar kik starters might need some parts. it would not be hard to duplicate it must parts are stock TECUMSEH get the cast housing made just use there design :shrug:

Glenn, Those parts are for a TECUMSEH only I see. Some could be used on a B&S but the ratchet is totally different. Any of those parts for sale? I have both B&S and TECUMSEH engines. I wonder if you can buy some parts from the company that made them?

Kick Starter

Hey Y'all, I'm sorry it is taking me so long to get mine up and working. I just like to do things once if posible. LOL, I want to do it right and make it totally bolt on and off. I can't make the cast housing that Hager (4) made but I will try and make it look as good as I can. I am more interested in it being totally funtional with little to no maintenance. Jeep, yours is awesome and I hope mine comes out even close to yours. BYW Jeep, Sorry for bothering you with all the questions. Just trying to get all the information I need to do a good job. So just wanted to let you know I am still working on it, infact I am going to town (70 miles round trip) on Monday to try and get the small gear for the crankshaft. Then I think I am ready to start the fabrication part of this project.
Have a great weekend and Keep on puttin' :scooter:

Update on my kick starter

Today I took the long trip to town and got some steel (Did you know they made 1/8" thick x 8" wide flat bar? Well they do.) 1/8" x 8" x 24" long and a piece of 1/2" Round bar. Then I went to Browns Bearings and got the small gear for the crank shaft. It matches very well to the Triumph kick starter gear. It is 3/4" long (I will cut it shorter) with a 1/2" bore so it will fit the crank shaft and has 12 teeth. I think Jeep did it right and cut off the square shaft from the ratchet and welded the gear to the square ratchet. If you don't then it will stick out too far from the engine. I'll update more as I get into the build. I took some pictures of the gear and ratchet below. I left the gear's box in the pictire so you can get the number of the gear.

You can see some of my work under General, How to build a better Jackshaft.

cool you got lucky on that one. i would have figured you would have had a hell of a time finding something like that at a store :thumbsup: Yep I didnt feel bad about cutting off that ratchet drive. Its not a rare part iv got a bucket of about ten of them :laugh:

Kicker Gear

cool you got lucky on that one. i would have figured you would have had a hell of a time finding something like that at a store :thumbsup: Yep I didnt feel bad about cutting off that ratchet drive. Its not a rare part iv got a bucket of about ten of them :laugh:
Yeah Jeep I felt lucky but I also felt if anybody would have one Browns would. They have almost everything in the way of gears and bearings. I also picked up a starter gear off of a Briggs and Stratton electric starter from my local lawn mower shop. The bore is only about 3/8" but I can drill it out. But that's for later on another project. Hey did you check out my jackshafts under General, How to build a jackshaft yet? I can't wait to get them put on. So many projects and so little time.

Hey 5HB, I been busy today. Got the gear welded to the ratchet. cut off the recoil part of the shroud, fabricated the back plate, drilled the hole for the kicker shaft, cutout the air holes in the back plate around crank. Thats enough today. Daughter took my batteries from my camera so I will get pictures tomorrow.

Keep on puttin, :scooter: