homemade kick starter

It's good to share ideas. This way we can take the best parts from all the different plans and come up with the best workable plan for you. Good luck and I can't wait to see your finished product. It will be 2 weeks before I get all of my parts so I am just waiting right now.
Keep on Puttin' :scooter:

Finally, a use for whatever these are..
I have no idea what they are either. Not sure how the sproket would work. I guess you could use sprokets and chain instead of gears. Good idea.

Here is what I picked up today. Didn't want to say until I knew I had it. Got it for $25.00. Going to use parts of it for my kick starter. It's off of a mid 70s Triumph motorcycle. The only parts I am interested in are the ones on the right if looking at it from the inside shot. The half gear, return spring and shaft. On the outside shot I will use the kick arm. It's gunna be sooooo cooool !
Keep on puttin' :scooter:

Last edited:
Got this antique B&S kick starter gear today $5.99 Just gives me options. Can alway sell it for that price if I don't use it.

Last edited:
The one picture with the kick arm is basicly what I have in the Triumph parts.
The round black part in the other photo for the engine section is very interesting. I'm thinking it is a replacement for the old ball bearing ratchet or for a newer cup type.
Very interesting. Do you have that or do you just have the pictures?

heres what iv got . it should go together well. and i think itll work fine. i will weld the splined part for the kick starter on the end of the shaft for the kicker. I got lucky with the crankshaft gear. it fit the shaft perfect i just had to cut off the square part and weld on the gear. the shield isnt removable now but thats no big deal. Making the whole thing look semi factory will be the hard part i think

hhhmmm.... Nice job, Jeep. Maybe some shrouding will help enclose it and make it look more factory. Also, it will double as extra support for the rockshaft.

Kick it !

Way Cool Jeep,
Looks good. Like the half gear. Not sure I want to weld the small gear to the sqaure thingy. But I like it. Want to see it when its finished. Hope you can do a video showing how it works.

i got it all together and working. i thought of a good way to reinforce it to keep the gear mesh tight so iv got to do that but yeah ill try to get a video up soon

Cool Jeep,
I can't wait to see it work. My Grandson just broke the pull rope on the Trooper I fixed up for him. Can't wait to get my kicker up and going. That will end that pain in the az.

here we go. works real good im happy with it. I had to weld the kicker onto the splined part because it just wanted to strip out. and cut off and reposition the fold out foot peg because it was in totaly the wrong direction. also i mentioned in the film that i welded a peg onto the shroud that pokes slightly into the gear at the crankshaft. that keeps the shroud from flexing and keeps the gear mesh tight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk2VHT9J6hs&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_jWh_ADNe4KmJTQprRPseg

OK Jeep where did you buy that. Just kidding. Looks really good and seems to work perfect. Great Job. I just got my Triumph gears and kick arm today. I believe it is going to work well too. I'll post pictures later.

It's coming. Just been real bussy and I just got my Gear, Shaft, return spring, and kick arm today. They are going to work really well I can tell by looking at them. I got them pulled out of the Triumph side case and they are exactly what I needed. Cost me $25.00. I bet Jeeps didn't cost him anything. How about it Jeep how much you got in it?

It's coming. Just been real bussy and I just got my Gear, Shaft, return spring, and kick arm today. They are going to work really well I can tell by looking at them. I got them pulled out of the Triumph side case and they are exactly what I needed. Cost me $25.00. I bet Jeeps didn't cost him anything. How about it Jeep how much you got in it?

I asked him before and he had all the stuff so nothin