Honda GX200, wont start. What next?

So It seems my lovely honda wont start. :hammer:

For a time it would start up run and die, wouldnt start for a while after that. Bout an hour later it would start up run and die after about 5-10 seconds... now it wont even fire.

What are some things I can check for? Im fairly certain its not a carb/fuel issue. Im planning to get a new spark plug(it has a fairly new one though prolly less than 20hrs) Could it be the coil? Is there any way to tell for sure?

Thanks.

So It seems my lovely honda wont start. :hammer:

For a time it would start up run and die, wouldnt start for a while after that. Bout an hour later it would start up run and die after about 5-10 seconds... now it wont even fire.

What are some things I can check for? Im fairly certain its not a carb/fuel issue. Im planning to get a new spark plug(it has a fairly new one though prolly less than 20hrs) Could it be the coil? Is there any way to tell for sure?

Thanks.
Spark,fuel and compression is all there is. Use a spark plug tester for the plug. or pull it and have someone turn over the engine and ground it on the engine and check for spark.

After repeated tries to start it ..if the plug is not wet its not getting fuel.

Harbor freight has a compression tester. But it only takes about 70 psi for the thing to fire. Put your finger over the plug hole and have someone turn it over. If it doesnt blow your finger away pretty good youve got a timing/valve issue. Or possibly compression ring.

Also check the gap on the plug. anywhere from .030 to .040 should be good.

get yourself a spray bottle and squirt it in the carb,if it runs it's a fuel problem,but i'd lean towards a coil,$13 you are not out too much,my honda did the same thing:eek:ut:

Guess Ill have to check that, hopefully I can do that Saturday.
Anybody know offhand what the proper sparkplug for these hondas is?

Well, was working all saturday, so didnt get to do anything with it. Maybe sometime this week I can work on it some.

And its cold out... dagum, Im not ready for cold weather.

Well, was working all saturday, so didnt get to do anything with it. Maybe sometime this week I can work on it some.
Wait till it screws up again............if it ain't broke you can't fix it. You may just add to the issue if you poke around looking for a symptom that is no longer there...........................

im having the same problem with my Honda GX200..it starts and runs for 5-10 seconds and then dies...can someone pm me with a solution for my problem