Honda Z-50 Coil Specs

I've been trying to trouble shoot some electrical problem on my '69 Z-50 for awhile now, and I think I've narrowed it down to the coil. I'm a little skeptical thats the problem, as I've read they don't go bad very often. I should also mention that I installed a new condenser about two years ago, and it ran strong (first kick start everytime) up until about six months ago.

The main problem is the bike has intermittent spark. After sitting, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. When it starts, it'll randomly die while riding it, then won't start again (then I check the spark, and it's gone).

At first I thought it was a bad ground on the ignition switch, so I started by unplugging the ignition switch to bring that out of the equation (as it should still run without it), and it has the same intermittent spark problems as before.

Then I decided to check the resistance in the main coil (the one under the gas tank), and it would jump between reading open and around 20,000 ohms. Is this normal? Is there a factory spec that this reading should be? I've searched the web and this forum and haven't found one. Also, the spark plug wire coming out of the coil feels very loose, is this normal? While measuring the resistance as I moved that wire around the resistance would jump to open, then settle back down to the around 20,000 ohms. But when the bike randomly decides to run, moving that connection does not kill it.

Next I'd like to pull the flywheel and check the coils in there, but once again I'm curious as to what resistance they should be at. Also, if those look good, I'm going to pull all the factory tape off the harness and double check the wireing.

Anything else I'm missing? And thanks in advance, and sorry if this question is a little wordy.

havent messed with bike coils in some time but open to 20,000 not good . it should read stable . does your coil have the nut on the wire to hold it in ? some did some dont if it does remove it and check the coil its self . there is a nail in the coil where the wire goes on , if you have the nut on the wire that is . post a pic of the coil if ya can , so i know what you have .

may sound stupid but check your points . have spent many a hour messing the coils and crap over dirty points .

Thanks, double checked the points today and they are fine. Sorry, didn't have a chance to snap a photo.

I got it running today, and it ran for about five minutes till it got hot and then it lost spark and died. I immediately then checked the VoltsAC out of the generator to find them around 5-6, yet I still wasn't getting anything out of the coil. Once it cooled down for a couple hours, I rechecked the voltsAC out of the generator, found them the same, and it had spark. I ran it again, and once again it died when it got hot. I'm almost fully sure it's the coil now, and will be ordering one.

Anybody else have this problem with an old Z50? Most things I have read say the stock coils are pretty bulletproof?

Just got back to the Honda shop, pricing out coils. The parts guy recomended checking the spark plug boot, as apparently there is a resistor in there that commonly goes bad. I decided to try one of those, as $4 for a quick fix was a lot cheaper than a $100 coil. Got home, replaced the boot, same problem. If anybody else is having strange electrical problems with a Z50, make sure to check your spark plug boot with an ohm meter, should read 5000 ohms.

The Honda shop has a coil tester, probably bringing mine there to get it checked out.